DD Acting out infront of her friends

My DD just turned 6 years old in April. She is a seemingly happy little girl with many friends. We have a great neighborhood and all the children play on the block together. They are all the same age, and she sees them day in and day out at the bus stop and at school. We used to walk around the neighborhood and stop and play, ride bikes, etc. with the children but all of a sudden she doesnt want anything to so with them.

On two occassions if any of the children or other parents even look in her direction she starts basically melting down into tears, and screams I want to go home. We end up leaving. I am not embarrased by it at all ( after all we all have those days) but have asked her what the problem is and she insists that there is no problem. She has no problem talking to the children from over the fence but I guess is shy around a big group?? Why all of a sudden ?? Has never been an issue in the past, any advice?

JNLmomme09

Asked by JNLmomme09 at 11:52 AM on May. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Someone in the group probably said something mean to her. A little kid in my dd's group told her she was ugly and ran like a girl. It took awhile to get it out of her but when I finally did I was able to deal with it.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:54 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I asked her a few times what the problem was, did someone say something mean, or hurt her she says no. The parents are all around and are pretty good about monitoring thier children. Its a good group, and honestly we moved here last year so she is going to growing up with these kids.

One idea I thought was maybe she is intimidated walking up to a group of kids??
    JNLmomme09

Comment by JNLmomme09 (original poster) at 12:00 PM on May. 26, 2011

• something probably happened in the group. Let them iron it out.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Talk to her.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011