Summer programs for kids

I was talking with DH yesterday afternoon about summer programs for my kids. DD is 8 (she'll be 9 in a few weeks) and DS is 4. He completely disagrees with me on taking them to the library for a summer reading program. He says that it's the summer and they should be home being kids. I work at home, plus I'll be going to school all summer, but I still want them doing something constructive with their time. He thinks I'm just trying to get rid of them. But, I can't leave them alone there. I'd still have to be there with them during the program times. There's a summer recreational program at DD's school that is Monday-Thursday from 1-5. They do arts & crafts, play games, go on field trips, and learn about nutrition and safety, things like that. I thought it would be great for her, plus she could have time away from DS (he is developmentally delayed and she gets very frustrated with him and the attention he needs sometimes), but again, DH doesn't agree. We were rasied very differently, so he doesn't see the benefits of the summer programs the same way I do. What can I say to get him to understand that, no, I'm not just trying to get rid of my kids for the summer??

jalvarez626

Asked by jalvarez626 at 11:54 AM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• We try to find a balance during the summer - plenty of time to just veg and swim in the pool balanced with summer programs. We let the kids pick out what to attend and limit them to just a program or two. Perhaps give your DH an idea of what summer programs are like and find a time to fit in both activities as well as "nothing." MOST summer programs are not like school. They are more interactive & engaging. Let your kids pick out what they might be interesting to them so they are leading the charge here not the two of you.

Our community college offers summer camps. DS is taking a week of comic book making. The course is rooted in writing skills and computer graphics/design. It's total fun though. DD is taking an 8 week (once a week) art class at the artist guild. they both do the summer reading challenge at the library - every 5 books gets them an entry into a prize drawing. :) Total fun stuff balanced with pure empty days.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:05 PM on May. 26, 2011

• The summer reading program is an awesome program. What does your husband want them to do, rot thier brains with TV and video games all summer? Does he think you are trying to get rid of your kids when you send them to school?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:09 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Have a serious talk with him about how the reading program will benefit her by keeping her brain working so she doesn't forget everything she learned by the time school starts. I think keeping them busy for the summer is a great idea. The rec program won't really be like school and if they go on feild trips she can have a lot of fun. I wish all the stuff that is available to the kids now had been around when I was a kid!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:17 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Scout mom: Basically, yeah! But, to him, that's them just being kids! Having them read books during the summer and do a book report is like schoolwork to him and he doesn't want that for the kids. Like I said, I was raised much differently. My mom put me in the summer reading program every year when I was growing up, and I love reading even now. DS starts Pre-K in the fall, and I thought it would be a great way to introduce him to that. My whole issue is that he says this in front of the kids, so now DD doesn't want to participate anymore.
    jalvarez626

Comment by jalvarez626 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• What a great question!! I am a preschool teacher and get this question a lot.
    Whether you are a religious person or not, I think this could be a great recourse for you. Check your local churches in your area for Vacation Bible School (aka VBS). They are almost always free of charge, usually from around 9am to noon for 1 week - 5 days. Fun active games, crafts, lots of singing, all kinds of kids from the neighborhood and elsewhere. The lessons learned will be morally sound and there is no pressure to get you to church, unless of course if you want to. ;) One year, I checked the different churches in my area, their VBS dates, and was able to do 3 or so back to back within 3 weeks. It was only in the morning so they still had plenty of "summer" to be kids. Good luck!! I'd like to know how it all turns out! ;)
    I hope this was helpful! <3
    sparklingeyes4j

Answer by sparklingeyes4j at 12:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would ask him exactly what he wants tehm to do all summer? Nothing? Better for them to be kept busy than getting bord at home with nothing to do. It can be whatever, swim lessons, pottery camp, I love the reading program idea, and yah, how does that equal you getting rid of them when your there? And if you work from home, does he not understand that you cant be entertaining the kids 100% of the time while your trying to work? Chances are his mom didnt work from home, so the situations are not the same, so he has to stop comparing the two.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:00 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Frankly, being a homeschool mom, I believe in education year round, but I mix it with fun. My 8 year old will be going to 4H camp in a couple of weeks and she is signed up for 5 day camps that are each 2 days. Kids still can be kids and have fun without leaving their brains to simmer.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 1:14 AM on May. 27, 2011