Need some imput.

My husbands mother has offered to take my son who is 2 1/2  for a few weeks over the summer. She is not his blood grandmother and had only met him once. I am living in maryland she is in north dakota. She is in her 50s. She is trusted. And they did get long the weekend we spent with her.

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 12:19 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• More info please. Is she nearby? Out of state? How well do you know her? Hold old is she?
    Anonymous

• I assume since this in in the Toddler category that your son is under 2, so I would not send him off to anyone for a few weeks. My DD is 2 1/2 and I don't like leaving her for more than two nights at a time, and that is always with one of her grandparents who she knows very well. If he was a few years older and knew his grandmother better I might consider it. I think the fact that you are asking tells me you are not comfortable with it, so I don't think you should let him go. Just tell her he is still too young and that something like that will have to wait a couple of years, but that you would still love to find a way for them to spend some time together and get to know each other. Can you all go to her for a visit, or can she come to you? Then you can all be together but she could still have some one on one time with your son to develop their own bond, maybe going to the park or other outings, etc. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would get them together a few times before then. Make sure she can handle it. Do you trust her? What would they do? I use a daycare provider who is not a blood relative. She is wonderful.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would be VERY hesitant. I don't know your situation with this woman, but your son really doesn't know her. And a few WEEKS? With a toddler she has met only once? I don't think I would do it.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:28 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Do you mean sleep over? Then no. I thought just watch him during the day while you were at work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:28 PM on May. 26, 2011

• She's only met him once? I would say no just based on that. Your LO wouldn't be comfortable with her and she doesn't know his temperament. If possible start small. A day out with you guys, a day with just the two of them, sleep over one night, sleepover a weekend....
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would not allow that. He and you do not know her well enough and It is too much time for such a young child. Good Luck
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:38 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't... They don't know each other well enough for things to be comfortable. And that's a LONG way away for a 2 1/2 year old. She'd be welcome to stay a couple of weeks with me if she wants to bond with him, or I can go stay with her for a while, but he wouldn't be going alone...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 12:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Wow, if she lived closer, (like in the same town), and you were able to have some playdates and so on, I would say yes, as soon as you felt comfortable. But a few weeks is a long time, especially for a toddler. (You would miss so much in his/her development too. they change so fast at that age!!)
    So, being that she lives so far away, and your child would be gone for a few weeks, and so on, I would say no, no, no.
    I have 2 teenagers and an 11 year old and I wouldn't let them go under those circumstances. (None of us (me or my kids) has separation anxiety issues either). I hope this was helpful. ;)
    sparklingeyes4j

Answer by sparklingeyes4j at 12:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Sorry I added that before you added how far you lived from her.
    It would definitely be a no from me. Sorry
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:48 PM on May. 26, 2011