How can I get my 5 month old baby to sleep in her crib?

My daughter refuses to sleep in her crib and only wants to sleep with me in my bed. I try and put her in her crib when she is asleep but she wakes up shortly after. I even try putting her in when she is sleepy but she is used to falling asleep nursing. Im getting very frustrated. I want my bed to myself again!

lovemylife88

Asked by lovemylife88 at 12:31 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been there!!, and I just had to suck it up and let my little boy cry himself to sleep. Which they will do. It took about 35 min. but he finally fell back to sleep. Why don't you try to rock him to sleep in your arms and then place him in his crib when he is already asleep. That is what we do. I know it is hard to listen to your baby cry but they have to learn to put themselves back to sleep on their own. Best of luck!! Stephanie
    steph71white

Answer by steph71white at 12:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• yes, very true. I need my little girl to fall asleep on he own! Thanks!
    lovemylife88

Comment by lovemylife88 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Ya at 5 months old, crying it out a little is okay. Personally, I never let my son cry for more than 10mins (most of the time it was more like 5mins) before going in to console him. I wouldn't pick him up, but would do what I could to make him feel better while leaving him in the crib. I'm not sure how old he was when we bought his fisher price toy for his crib, but he still loves it at 2 1/2. It plays music, soothing jungle sounds, glows with a soft light, and has little jungle animals that move around slowly. All these settings you can change to your preference, but it was definitely a life saver. We got it from Walmart and I remember it wasn't too cheap. Also I know everyone tells you this but having a routine for my son has really helped. First we start dimming the house lights and have some calm down time. We don't do the bath thing because that actually just gets him excited, but we do read him a couple books...
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2011

• CONT...We also say goodnight to his favorite toys, tuck them in, then tuck him in. Once I can get him to say goodnight to me I know I can leave without him being upset at all. Now he's much older than your's, but we started the books and saying goodnight to things pretty young.
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:02 PM on May. 26, 2011

• when we moved our little one into her crib (she was sleeping in a bassinet in our room) we put rolled up blankets on either side of her (I know they say that you shouldn't do that but she was rolling over on her own and it was the only way we could get her to sleep in her bed). I think she felt like it was too much space. We gradually moved them out of the crib so she is in there with a little blankie that she likes to snuggle.
    We also have the little music box thing that ours wrote about... she loves that thing and even turns it on by herself now when she first wakes up in the morning
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:05 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My daughter has the same problem, she's used to sleeping with me and never stays asleep long when shes in her crib. IVe been just soothing her when she wakes up, but putting her back in her crib everytime. Its not working yet though!
    Gracie_Kayy

Answer by Gracie_Kayy at 4:11 PM on May. 26, 2011

• should have gotten the baby in a routine at first... should have never introduced them to your bed!!!
    kristianmommy

Answer by kristianmommy at 7:49 PM on May. 26, 2011