What is a good summer bedtime for my stepdaughters?

My stepdaughters are 7 and 10. Their bedtime during the school week was 8:30pm. What is a good summer bedtime for them.

thank you,

Stephanie

steph71white

Asked by steph71white at 12:35 PM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• 10
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:36 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My son's bedtime during the school year is 9pm and we usually try to keep it consistant through the summer, so it's not a huge shock when they have to start getting up early again. They might get away with 10pm sometimes.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:36 PM on May. 26, 2011

• 9
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It kind of depends on where you live. I live in the northwestern most conrner of the US. North of Seattle WA. In the summer it stays light until 9:45 sometimes and it is really hard to get my kids to sleep much earlier, let alone just in bed. If you have room darkening shades or something, that definitely helps.
    It also depends a lot on what your daily schedule is. Do they have somewhere to go early in the morning? and so on.
    Other than that, I'd let them stay up according to what you are doing, but have a limit. Say you're having a BBQ with friends and they are having a wonderful time, let them stay up a bit, but send them off to bed maybe 1 hour later, 9:30. If, of course, if they are too tired, maybe 9 would be there limit.
    Above all, if you can, see what it is their mom does, or see what your husbands opinion is. It is more important that you are on the same page as your husband than anything else.
    Hope this was helpful
    sparklingeyes4j

Answer by sparklingeyes4j at 12:49 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I try to keep my kids not too far off from their regular bedtime. During the school year my 9 and 11 yo go to bed at 8:30, during the summer it's 9 pm on weeknights, 10 pm on the weekend (unless they are having a sleepover or something other special in which case we'll extend that to later). Also, my husband still has to get up for work even if the kids don't have to go to school, so I like for him to have some downtime in the evenings.

Answer by missanc at 12:55 PM on May. 26, 2011

• probably 9:30pm or 10pm
    ttsotc

Answer by ttsotc at 12:57 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My girls are ages 9,7, and 6. School days they start getting ready at 7:30 but in up in bed at 8. Then during the summer bed time is at nine. I belive they still need their rest since up by 8 or 9 in the morning. But different hours work for different people.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:37 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Bedtime for my kids (11, 9 1/2, 8 1/2 and 5) is 9-10pm in the summer depending on their behavior. Sometimes they get to stay up later to watch a movie. Usually they are too exhausted to make it bast 9:30-10pm. During the school year they go to bed at 8pm. Usually in the summer they are still outside playing at 9pm (that's when it's fully dark here) so then they come in, get showers usually and watch TV for a bit if they've been good.
    At any time if they are acting cranky, whiny or being a general bug up my butt I reserve the right to move bedtime to an early hour since they obviously need some sleep.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:57 PM on May. 26, 2011