So what does "high tolerance for pain" actually mean?

If I say...I have a high tolerance for pain...doesn't that mean...I can take a lot of pain before it bothers me? And wouldn't I have a low tolerance for pain mean that I can't stand pain? Can someone clear the confusion for me, please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Health

• yes, what you said is right
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:44 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yep, that's right..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• yes, you have it right. high tolerance for pain = able to tolerate pain in great amounts, what might be excruciating for others is a pinprick ... low tolerance = being able to tolerate very little amounts of pain
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• You are right on both.

Answer by louise2 at 12:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• thats the definitioni've always understood... also means you have a better control over pain that you feel and requires less medication, but doctors can test levels of pain by levels of inflammation throughout the body, if they are high and you are not taking medicine for it they say you have a high tolerance for pain...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 12:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• yep you're right. I think my tolerance is pretty high but the father of my child will cut his finger and cry like a baby lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes, if you can stand the pain you have a high tolerance. Me, on the other hand, since I have gotten older.........I am a wuss!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• There is an actual situation that allows people to not feel pain the same way as others do allowing them to tolerate more of a pain stimulus. Certain situations and conditions-like fatigue-cause a person to not be able to tolerate much of a pain stimulus at all. Basically, you have it correct.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:05 PM on May. 26, 2011