Anyone see a therapist?

I've just recently started seeing a therapist to try to learn how to communicate better when I'm angry instead of keeping it all bottled in, or even worse, exploding. It all stems from a horrid relationship with my mother, so of course we address that issue as well. Since I just started going, nothing has been resolved yet, but just knowing that I'm being proactive with the state of my mental health has improved my stress level immensely. I am so proud of myself for taking that all-important first step! Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Health

• Counseling for my ex and I it did not save the relationship but it helped me.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:51 PM on May. 26, 2011

• thats great news! i'm glad to hear it's working for you.

i'm also seeing a psychologist for my anxiety attacks. today was my second visit. honestly i'm falling in love with this guy (therapeutically of course LOL) because everytime i leave his office it's like i'm seeing things for the first time. he really puts a spin on how i view things. my anxiety/ptsd sources from my husband and our toxic relationship, and i know this now, and i feel so much better knowing my problems are mental. my anxiety has lowered dramatically. now, i get to deal with the fun stuff (sarcasm) breaking my skull open and dealing with all my suppressed trauma/stress/anger.

isn't it great what a little therapy can do??
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:56 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I did go see a therapist..I hated her but I had to do that in order to get my ocd med. I would talk to the lady that prescribes my pills inside of the therapist..so It was the same thing she just wasn't an actual "therapist".
    mom2miyah

Answer by mom2miyah at 1:00 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I have seen a therapist for a while now and like tnm786, when I leave, I have a greater understanding of how to be a better mom, wife, and friend. I must add though, in order for therapy to work, you MUST be honest with yourself and call it what it is. If you don't trust your therapist, get a new one. If you have issues that keep you from thriving, loving and functioning in an appropriate way, the sooner you come to terms with your shortcomings, the sooner you can find solutions and remedies for those issues. Don't define yourself by what you are dealing with. You are much more than that!
    I'm proud of you and I know you will do great things!!
    sparklingeyes4j

Answer by sparklingeyes4j at 1:10 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Congragulations...I see a therapist once a week to help with my bipolar disorder....I'm not sure if it really helps or not but I'm sure it cant hurt
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:17 PM on May. 26, 2011