is washing your childs mouth out with soap still okay today?

if so, at what age is it okay to start that. is it child abuse?

lilybug524

Asked by lilybug524 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I haven't had to do it in a very long time, but I wouldn't suggest it unless your child just decided to say something or spit at you and just wasn't going to stop, my eldest "tried" this behavior and got a taste of her medicine and she was around 4/5, guess what she didn't try that. Also, vinegar, I prefer using that over soap, no chemicals, and it's it cooking but kids hate it, give em' like a baby spoon of it and they'll be grossed out, friend of mine suggested this and has worked great.  Thank goodness haven't had to deal with it in long time, I think if you teach the kiddies very young how to respect you, they get your point by school age.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• they say no because there's the chemicals in it but hey we survived it didn't we! just in small quantities would be my opinion.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 8:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Um, I would do it if I had to. I would start at 4 maybe 5, depends on the kid you can definately tell when a kid is being smart and saying stuff he/she shouldn't
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 8:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my mom use to do it to me..i swore i would NEVER do it to my kids.
    Also growning up you dont hear cuss words like you do today. I would explain to them its bad just cuz someone said it they shouldnt say it...if your friends ate dog food would you!!! type thing *dont say bridge that dont work no more* if they keep on ground them or what not. but dont do the soap.

mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My parents did it to me and I remember how nasty that ivory bar soap was so I didn't say that stuff I did ever again lol so it is effective and I didn't feel like I was being abused and I look back on it and don't see it that way either.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 8:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I prefer hot sauce. Like another poster said, soap today contains chemicals that might prove unsafe. Hot sauce on the other hand is intended to be eaten.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I did it to my son once and ahve never had to again. It's harmful if they swallow large amounts, a little squirt never killed anyone.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 8:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have never done it and never will, I think there are other ways to get your point across. I dont think it was ok back then eiter but that is MO.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• thanks for your help. my 4 year old just can't seem to stop telling me no all the time it's driving me crazy. i might try the vinegar idea, thanks
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• this is true...a mom washed her son's mouth out with soap he had an extremly bad allergic reaction to it wound up in the hospital very very sick for awhile...i don't recomend doing it. try something else that doesnt have a pleasent taste to it.
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2008