Lice ... and bed pillows

So the little one came home with lice ... been doing the treatments and washing everything in sight.

Wrapped up the pillows in plastic bags ... supposed to keep them there for 2 weeks or so. Then what? Open up the bags, shake them out and continue to use them? Or is it a safer bet to just buy new ones?

Also, do those bedding sprays work? I've already washed all the bedding but am leary of those products for fear that they are too toxic (DD is extremely sensitive).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Put them in that bags until they say it's safe to use them, I washed mine in the washing machine (you have to dry them 2 or 3 times and then pound the hell out of them to reshape them) As a kid I had lice twice, the bedding sprays worked. As for your daughter being sensitive.. you have to ask the question.. lice or skin irritation? I'd rather have a skin irritation for a couple days than lice for the rest of my life. Just saying.
    Good luck, I know how bad lice can be!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:02 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would still try to wash the pillows in the hottest water possible after being in the bag for two weeks. It would be better to just buy new ones, but if you can't..that should work.
    I've used the bedding spray and it worked...I think..I don't know if the lice ever got into the bedding or not to begin with I just sprayed everything like a mad woman just to make sure,lol. But if your daughter is sensitive, you may want to call her dr first and ask what they reccomend..maybe there is a certain brand that would work better for sensitive little ones.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:02 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Lice cannot live without being on hair strands for more than two days, so why leave in bags for 2 weeks? I use baby oil and then put a shower cap on and leave overnight in the hair, then I use a comb and comb through the hair tiny sections at a time, the baby oil smothers the lice, and makes the nits easier to remove, lets hair pulling and fewer tantrums through the process, I also use vinegar which also disintigrates them entirely as well, though some cannot tolerate the smell, and it has to be be white distilled, no apple cider
    Enchantasi

Answer by Enchantasi at 1:04 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Lice is a pure nightmare! When my daughter was in the second grade she came home lice. I treated my whole family with Rid lice hair shampoo even if my daughter was the only one with the lice. You have to make sure you use a fine tooth comb and hand pick the eggs out or the lice will keep coming back. Stuffed animals, pillows all have to be put in plastic bags for two weeks, wash all linens in hot water. Buy the lice spray and spray on bedding, sofas, car. Vacuum daily.  Remind your child not to share combs, brushes or hats with friends.  I had a difficult time getting rid of the lice my daughters pediatrician prescribed me a shampoo called quail which killed the lice for good.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:37 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Get the Rid Lice Spray..my mom used it when I was little spray it on the pillow and the mattress. Wash the sheets and everything in hot water. It worked for us :)
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:01 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Wash the pillows in hot water. The sprays do work but if your DD is sensitive, maybe try it on a small area of the furniture to see if she has a reaction before you spray everything with it.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:03 PM on May. 26, 2011

• my foster daughter had lice when we first got her! wat a mess!!! i just went out and bought new pillows and then sprayed everything i couldnt wash and then washed everything!!!! it did the trick!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:15 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Enchantasi .... I found an OTC lice treatment that I initially used then I went to the olive oil method, essentially the same as you described using baby oil ... saturated her head with olive oil, put on a shower cap, left it overnight, washed it out in the morning, rinsed with distilled vinegar and then combed through her hair to get the eggs out.

Ladies, thanks for the suggestions ... I think I'm going to opt for new pillows after all. Honest truth, some of them needed replacing to begin with so now I have a legit reason to do so!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree with new pillows; if even one egg was left, you'd have to start all over.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would start over with new pillows.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:17 PM on May. 26, 2011