What age is approperate to start shaving your legs??

My daughter is 10 and in the 4th grade, I was wondering when it is approperiate to allow her to shave her legs??? I dont remember how old i was, and I remember having to "sneak" because my mother didnt talk to me about anything!!!!! I want to do this right and teach her before she starts sneaking behind my back...... Thanks sooo much!!

solmenkoo3

Asked by solmenkoo3 at 1:09 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• When they need to?
    I was 12 1/2 I think and it became noticeable and started bugging me. So I just did it. I didn't ask. It didn't seem that complicated and I figured it out on my own.

My oldest is turning 11 this summer and has no need to shave. You can't even see the hair on her legs. Funny thing was she didn't even know most women shave. I mentioned I cut myself shaving and she's like, "shaving what?" Lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:54 PM on May. 26, 2011

• If it is visible/dark AND it bothers her.. I think that's a good time to let her start.. You can get her veet or something similar so you don't have to worry about razor cuts just yet.. My middle DD is 11 and not shaving yet.. It doesn't bother her but she will be in middle school this upcoming school year so maybe very soon it will start to bother her.. Until then, we are letting it go..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:14 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My niece I believe started at 9... I would say 10 would be good. Thats when I started.
    I dont' think its a NEED at this age but i think its pure pressure, I remember I couldn't wait to do it, made me feel grown up
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:14 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I came home crying in 7th grade because a girl asked me in the locker room why I didn't shave. I wish I would have started sooner as I have very dark hair and was self concious about it whenever I wore shorts/ dresses. My mom was like "If you start shaving now, you'll have to do it for the rest of your life" and I was like "I don't care!"

Funny, she ued that same argu ent when I told her I wanted to get a job at 15. THAT time I should have listened lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:55 PM on May. 26, 2011

• when the kids at school call you Sasquatch then it's time to shave
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:17 PM on May. 26, 2011

• If you instill in your daughter a high sense of self-worth "just the way she is," she will be able to better resist peer pressure of all forms--even that of following the other girls and shaving their legs in middle school.

Let her be a child for as long as possible, as she'll never get back her youth.
    Anonymous

• I started when I was 11
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:11 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I was allowed to shave my legs with help to the knee when I was in 5th grade so I guess around 11 or so. When she was sure I knew what I was doing I was allowed to shave with out her watching. at 14 I was told I could start shaving higher if I wanted to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:12 PM on May. 26, 2011

• 12!!
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 1:14 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I showed interest when I was 8 but didn't start doing it regularly until I was 10ish.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:14 PM on May. 26, 2011