ADHD MEDS PLEASE HELP

MY DAUGHTER WAS ADMITTED INTO A BEHAVIORAL CLINIC, THEY HAVE STARTED HER ON ITUNIV AND RESPIDAL, BUT THEY ALSO WANT TO PLACE HER ON AN ADDITIONAL ADHD MED, THEY HAVE MENTIONED VYVANSE, STATTERA, AND FOLCALINE. I DONT WANT MY DAUGHTER PLACED ON ALL THESE DIF MEDS ONLY TO HAVE HER ACTING LIKE A ZOMBY. I WANT THE SAFEST THING OUT THERE FOR HER, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHTS ONT HESE MEDS OR OTHER ADHD MEDS U HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH?

_JustMe_

Asked by _JustMe_ at 1:16 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• IF she is properly medicated she will NOT be a zombie. And with the disorders she has, she will need medication in order to control the symptoms. My friends daughter is ADHD, PTSD, had Generalized Anxiety Disorder, ODD and possibly Bipolar. She is on a lot of different meds but NONE for the ADHD beause the other meds she is on helps the ADHD. It will take time for the doc to find the correct combination for HER. If you trust the doctor then listen to what he or she has to say. What works for one child may not work for another.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:36 PM on May. 27, 2011

• all nasty drugs IMO, but some kids need them.. for her safety i would tell them you want her on as little medication as possibble and that you want her to learn self control not drug control, ask if they could just start with they ones they have and see how she does..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:20 PM on May. 26, 2011

• then maybe you'll consider more if that doesnt work, or just get a second opinion...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:21 PM on May. 26, 2011

• The only experience I have had for my son with ADHD is Adderall XR. For him, it works great. We've only had to up the dosage once so far. I know that over time, the effects can diminish and maybe in the future he will have to try something new.
    Is that your daughters only diagnosis? ADHD?
    If you are uncomfortable with what the dr.'s are suggesting...you can always ask for a second opinion at a diffrent facility.
    I know these kinds of decisions are not easy and shouldnt be taken lightly..it affects your daughters life in so many ways and you only want the best for her...and that answer won't always be clear cut.
    I would read everythign I possibly could on her diagnosis and the medications, get a second opinion..even a 3rd if need be and go from there.I wish you & your daughter all the best.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:37 PM on May. 26, 2011

• yes she has severe adhd, odd, and ptsd, i have went several places and seen various therapists, i have been reading alot on adhd and the meds, i just dont really know what to do.
    _JustMe_

Comment by _JustMe_ (original poster) at 1:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• start with as few as possible, that way if she has any adverse reactions to them you have a better chance at figuring out which one to stop.. adding a bunch all at once can decrease her chances of getting better especially if they interact with each other.. if you trust the doctors that are working with her then just let them do what they are going to do and see what happens.. but i would start with the two they've already started and wait a couple weeks for them to actually be working before letting them add more..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:30 PM on May. 26, 2011