Will my child be bashed by other families if its raised in a homosexual lifestyle?

My girlfriend/wife (we got married in California) and I are having a baby *i'm the pregnant one. Which we're both excited about. But I know we deal with alot of crap from people in florida because its ultra conservative and not so open to different lifestyles. I just want to look out for my child and I don't want to worry that if I have a birthday party that little johnny down the road won't be able to come because his mom doesn't want him around us. Should we move to a more open place like Cali, or are people more open minded then I think?

brandi143

Asked by brandi143 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• People are very openminded and accepting of this lifestyle these days. I dont think you will be bashed any more than any other alternative lifstyle would be today. Just ignore the negative stuff.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I am fine with what you are doing, and want to add a congrats to you! Your child may have issues, but I think there will be more good than bad. All kids struggle at various points in their lives. If someone picks on your child they may used your relationship in a hurtful manner. But, your child being strong will get though it. Whatever negativity you've had, I would bet your child will have less because society is more accepting. Stay away from the jerks and surround your family with good people, as I'm sure you will.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You're always going to have people who don't approve of how you live your life. And who needs them?! That said, I think most people are more accepting than you think! I wouldn't mind my child playing at a home with 2 mommys, or 2 daddys for that matter. I think in this day and age we all are more accepting, because what used to be considered different just isn't that different anymore.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Yes, your child will get bashed. They will also get bashed if they hate peanut butter, or have freckles, or like Dora, or have curly hair, or have straight hair, have ADHD, get good grades, fail in school, live in the wrong neighborhood, or have skin that's the wrong color.

As a family you will have to deal with the fact that not everyone approves of how you are raising your child.  Reading posts here has taught me that not everyone approves of how I'm raising my child either.  Your child will have to learn that not everyone believes the same things.  But so will my child and his parents aren't gay.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You will be a wonderful mother! You are already so concerned with this childs feelings and he/she is not even here yet! I mean listen to yourself, you are willing to uproot you and your spouse and move purely based on the fear of other families not being able to accept your lifestyle. That alone says alot about the type of parent you will be. Do not be to quick to up and move though- I am a mother of 2 and would have no problem at all if one of my children had a friend with same sex parents. Its not the sexual orientation of a person or parent I look at, its the person or parent. You are starting a family and you should be enjoying every minute of this experience not worrying what the place you and your partner call home will think. They are not a part of your family. You sound like a very kind,caring person and if other parents can not accept your family- there loss. Do not doubt parents so quickly- once you have kids nothing shocks you anymore.
    henlex

Answer by henlex at 4:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I live in CA, I teach first grade. This year in my class I had a little girl with two moms. They were by far the most helpful set of parents I had this year. If their daughter step out of line, they fixed, it If she was having trouble with anything we worked together to fix it. I know the kids in the the class could have cared less, about what kid of parents she had, as they all where in different situations. I think it really comes down to the character of the child. I don't even think it is just because of where I live either, because believe me there are plenty of people having a fit over the gay marriage status. We all just know that they kid has nothing to do with the choices of the parents, so no natter what we personally believe, all the kids are equal. And at age 6 or 7 their peers don't quite care. Just teach your kiddo to be strong and proud, and they will be fine!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• know its sad how people behave and is not open at all to other people beliefs or likes people in todays world are so cruel and unkind...people think that this world is not a safe or nice place but it is tehe people that live in it that makes it this way...I feel your furstration..but the only advice is to love your child..when he or she gets old enough always be honest..never hide anything..and just always prepare your child for real life....i know as parents we want to sheild our child but i make it my business not hide anything..i speak to my child openly..when she cries for someelse toys i tell her it is not yours and she doesnt have to let you play with it..etc..
    ilovemychild131

Answer by ilovemychild131 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• yes and no.....some people are more open minded than you think, but a lot arent, especially in the south.....while im not in a lesbian relationship, i am in an interracial one and live in ky.....there are plenty of people who are cool with it and several mixed kids in the neighborhood, but i still get crazy looks and many people are very distant and wont come to my home (both blacks and whites)....atleast in my opinion, there are generally even stronger reactions to homosexual couples...if you are able to move to a more liberal area of the country i would, but realize that there are judgemental people everythwere that will treat both you and your child differently
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• This is a good question. I would not let my kids go to a party of anyone I did not know without my husband or myself tagging along (at a young age, I think this is common anyway because those youngsters need watching)...

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• PS I just moved from the Orlando area (Lake Mary/ Sanford). Have you heard of Lifepoint Christian Church at the Lake Mary YMCA? It's pretty awesome.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2008