How do i get a 4 year old to settle down without loosing my cool in the process?

he had adhd for one so ya thats hard enough, but when he does things that he knows not to and i put him in time out or something else he still doesnt understand what he did wrong. Some one help me out here please

crazy420186

Asked by crazy420186 at 1:26 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try working on a daily schedule that has a flowing list of activities that varies form sitting and calm to running crazy. Like Breakfast, paly outside, sit at table for craft or play-dough, play outside, eat lunch, watch a movie or have a quiet time, build a fort, have a snack, read a book... Keep it somewhat predictable so we can learn when it is and is not okay to run around. Fill his need to activity while also encouraging calmness. Sitting activities should start short--not expecting more than 20 min at first.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• IDK if this will work for you, but this is what I do with my preschool kids at work. 1. address the problem 2. have his/her tell you what they did wrong 3. what can you do not to have this problem 4. solution and or punishment
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 1:36 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I have the same problems with my almost four year old. It is very hard not to lose your cool sometimes, and then in the end it does not benefit the child because it is almost like the crave that negative attention. What I have been trying with my daughter is to take away things. I give her 1 free pass when she does something she shouldn't and I tell her that if it happens again I will take away her favorite DVD or toy. I make sure to take it away but put it somewhere she can see it so that when she asks for it I go back and explain that she cannot have it until the next day because of what she did (and re-address what she did was wrong) I also found that the BIGGEST factor is to make her look straight at me when I am explaining things. If she looks around and laughs she is not paying attention so i get on her level and make her look straight at me.
    cheyegirl82

Answer by cheyegirl82 at 1:37 PM on May. 26, 2011