Anyone dealing with Bipolar disorder?

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder type 2 in 2004 and am now properly medicated and can now give my best to my family. Proper medication has helped, (after trying this and that to find the right "cocktail" that was most effective) but I still have my days. I now understand that I have to do my part too. I also see a therapist [at least ever 6 months - required for med's - or as needed] and use light therapy in the fall and winter. (Seasonal Affective Disorder [SAD] can increase the susceptibility to depression). Bipolar Disorder does not define me. Having the chemicals in my brain work as they aught to, has given me life, my children a new mom, and my husband, a new wife!! I am interested in knowing if others suffer with this, (type 1 or 2), and what you do about it.

sparklingeyes4j

Asked by sparklingeyes4j at 1:27 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Health

• I do not have Bipolar but I do have a chemical Imbalance as well which I suffer from Anxiety depression and social issues.. I build up tolerances in Meds faster than it should be possible so I feel I am on a constant roller coaster, it doesn't define me, however it makes it hard to ever feel Real, or myself, I wonder sometimes where the happy go lucky person goes when not on a good medicine or where the temper comes from on another. I feel like 50 different people and it can be very hard to deal with.. I am so happy you've found the right direction to head in and that you are controlled. Great Job Mama!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:36 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I do. I can't afford to go to a doctor for now and get meds so I'm just trying to deal with it by myself. I am a member of some online groups and it helps to talk to others who understand. It's not as good as professional help on a regular basis but it helps a bit. My DH doesn't understand my condition so I'm on my own there too. I deal with SAD in the winter too. I open the curtains and turn up the furnace then so I get whatever sunlight there is. The long dark hours, as the sun sets at 6:00 p.m. in the winter are all but unbearable. I try to just get out as much as I can when the weather is good, even if it's just a walk through the neighborhood or park. I'd love to be able to see a doctor but it's just not possible yet.

Good for you for getting help and not letting this debilitating thing define you.
    Anonymous

• I don't have it, but my boyfriend does (im not sure what type). It's not an easy thing to live with if not properly handled. Currently, he's not taking any meds because when he was on them, he was like a bump on a log. Me personally, I think he was over medicated. They had him on lithium, clonopin (sp?), and someother mood stabilizer. He's also suffered from depression. He wants to go back and do something about it but i've noticed he finds excuses like he doesn't have insurance (he's not on my plan). I've offered hundreds of times to help him out financially if that was the issue. He knows what he needs to do but i think he's afraid of feeling "useless" as he put it. I've been trying to do some research. I've found the best way when he has an episode is to calmly tell him his actions and how it made me feel and drop the subject. I'm interested in other responses though, for my own curiosity and his well being. Thanks!
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I am not bi-polar, but I have two daughter-in-laws who are. You sound like you are on the right path....Good luck!!!!
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 1:41 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I have BPD2 as well. However I do not use medication and therapy does nothing for me. I also deal with SAD, both in the winter and the summer, but in the winter more so. Instead I control things with meditation and diet. First thing you need to get rid of all the chemicals in your diet and household. The more chemicals you have around you, the more you will have in your body and the more you will have throwing your brain off balance... Also, cut our whit

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:43 PM on May. 26, 2011

• sorry, I hit the wrong button.

Cut out white flour and sugar. And stay away from preservatives, food dyes and MSG!

Also you'll want to implement a regular exercise program... Yoga is great, but I prefer Turbo Jam or something more "party like" The point is simply to get up, get moving and keep your body in top condition. If your body is in great condition - your brain will be too.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• SabirinaMBowen,
    Wow, you've got a great system going there.
    After my diagnosis and after further health/family history research, we found that my mother, and all three of my sisters have BPD of either 1 or 2, and mood and social disorders. Also, after looking back through my childhood, (my observations, not my therapists) I can see that I have struggled with this all my life and that it was after my first child was born that it progressively got worse and eventually debilitating. Like diabetes, you can be born with it or it can be circumstantial within your surroundings and/or diet.
    sparklingeyes4j

Comment by sparklingeyes4j (original poster) at 2:16 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I do also have bipolar disorader type 2 But unlike you i do not take medication i have seen a councleor but I dont like it at all. I deal with it on my own but it is hard some days i give you props for taking control of your disorder
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 2:48 PM on May. 26, 2011