What is the proper way to switch babies to a different formula?

My four week old has been spitting up alot when he eats. The doctor had recommended we try Enfamil AR, right now he is on Simliac for spitting up. He was doing well on the Similac but now is spitting up alot again and so we are thinking about trying the Enfamil. Should you mix half and half of both formulas or just try the new formula and not mix them at all?

mylilboy00

Asked by mylilboy00 at 1:33 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when I switched formulas I just did a total switch (I suspected allergies) so that it would be easier to see if switching made a difference
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:44 PM on May. 26, 2011

• half old formula and half new and slowly put less and less old it will be easier on the babies belly
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I just switched. Stopped one and stared the other... I did not slowly move him over or anything. He did really well with it.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 1:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I did a total sHwitch with my son and if he had a hard time with the change then i would mix half and half and go down from there...Good luck!!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:50 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would just switch right over..to see if the new one causes the same prob or not. I would think if you gave half and half that the same prob would still be there and you'd have no way of knowing if the old one is still causing the problem or if the new one has the same effect on him.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:04 PM on May. 26, 2011

• You should ask the baby's doctor and do some research before switching. Not all formula is the same. Soy should be the very last choice. Some doctors don't even know about the problems with soy so that's why it's important to find info for yourself.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:31 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Between both my colic/acid reflux kids i have switched formulas a millions times haha. I think the best way is to gradually add in the new formula. Start wtih an ounce for a few days then gradually increase it. The main thing to remember is to wait a decent amount of time before deciding its not working. Good Luck!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 11:09 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I think a total switch is better.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 8:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• mlmsm928-what did formula did you found worked best?
    mylilboy00

Comment by mylilboy00 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on May. 28, 2011