Summer reading incentive programs?

Last year we found a number of places and retailers that offered summer reading incentive programs. My kids enjoyed setting these goals for themselves, reading to them and earning their 'rewards' through the various programs. I'm starting to build our list of programs for this year. Do you know of any?

So far we have:
- Local library system does a summer sweepstakes. Every 5 books earns you another entry into their drawing. Programs for both adults and kids! We do it together.

- Barnes and Noble - read 8 book by end date and get a free book from a pre-set list. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/summerreading/index.asp

- Pizza Huts BookIT! program. Our school does this during the year and we did the summer program last year at home.

What else do you have?

ldmrmom

Asked by ldmrmom at 1:35 PM on May. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• those were the ones I knew of... googled and found this cute idea http://blog.reading-rewards.com/2011/05/10-fantastic-reading-incentives-that-wont-cost-you-a-penny/

elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:42 PM on May. 26, 2011

• When I was still in elementary school in NJ we had something sponsored by Six Flags. If you logged 600 minutes you got a free admission ticket to the park.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My dd is an avid reader and reads so much that I can't keep up. Before she was though she did her own goals.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• In our area we just have the library. It is only for certain ages, but I also take my 4 year old to the library ever two weeks to get books. My 10 year old will do the summer reading, he will get a prize when he meets each goal. If he meets the final goal for the summer, like 300 pages or whatever it is, he will get a shirt. They will also have a day where they have a cook out for them.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 1:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My son's elementary school has a program. They will be sending home a new backpack and book at the end of the year. Then he'll get one book every 2 weeks in the mail, all summer. They didn't do this last year and I'm not sure who's sponsoring it but I thought it was a great idea. It might be too late now, but maybe it's something you can help organize at your kids school for next summer. Other than that, all I can think of is hitting the library.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:13 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Nicoles2LilRams - Six Flags still does the same but I've only seen it during the school year. My DS's 3rd grade teacher filled out the forms for them during their class free reading times. We already got his free ticket.

luvmy4kids - some of these programs are nationwide and can be done from home or online. Check it out!

Thanks Elizabiza!

Keep 'em coming!!
    ldmrmom

Comment by ldmrmom (original poster) at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2011