I'm eating less than 1,000 calories a day but I'm FULL.....

I keep reading that it's not healthy, but the diet foods I'm eating are quite filling on their own. I've never been a big eater, but this diet has me eating three to five times a day and sometimes I'm just so full I can not stand the thought of eating another bite.

I have over 100lbs to lose and I don't work out (unless you count 2 young kids keeping me busy), though I would like to start. Now I don't know if I should work out too much because then my calorie debt is going to be even higher.

So should I look for slightly more high calorie options to get to 1200 or so? Everything I eat is low/no fat, low calorie, low sodium, low carb, higher proteins and fiber.

I definitely am not looking for a crash diet, it just so happens my intake is so low.... and I don't want to go in to starvation mode and store all the fat I'm trying to get rid of lol.

Thanks for any advice or tips!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 2:15 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• The reason they recommend 1200 calories a day is because that is the lowest you can go and still get all the nutrients you need. So think about it like this- are you getting 2 servings of fruit? 3 servings of vegetables? Are you getting enough calcium, fiber, fats (they are a necessity), carbs, proteins, etc.

When you're on a diet, it's so important to make sure that you are getting all the nutrients you need. I am guessing that if you moved some of your nonfat items to reduced fat, that you'd find it easier to get to 1200 calories a day.

Anyway sorry this is long. Good luck hitting your calories! I'm at 1200 a day too, and I gotta admit that sometimes I'm a little short too. But I can usually pinpoint something (whole grains for example) that I didn't have enough of that day.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:23 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Your supposed to start on the high end so that way you can adjust when you hit a plauto...with only consuming 1,000 calories you will lose the weight quick but eventually you will stop losing and you can;t decrease anymore then that...that's even too low...I would up it too around 1,500 to start and then go from there...GL!!! and cardio and some toning exercises area a good idea do at least 30 min. a day

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 2:23 PM on May. 26, 2011

• If it's working for you I'd stick to it. Talk to your doctor about it though, to make sure you're staying safe.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:24 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i'd stick to it, but beware the plateaus!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yeah, I definitely don't want to have to CUT any more calories. Even though I'm super full, even that seems dangerous to me lol. Thanks everyone!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 2:38 PM on May. 26, 2011

• 1000 calorie a day seems really low to me. Are you doing this under a doctor's supervision. I'd be concerned that my metabolism would slow significantly....which later on down the road will set you up to gain it all back and maybe more.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:20 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Good advice! thanks! I do take a multi vitamin every day, but I'm sure that's not going to make up for anything I missed. I do get fewer fruits, but that's just because I'm not a huge fan of fruit.
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 6:28 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I can almost bet you that you are well into starvation mode already. Everybody has a Basal Metabolic rate that is determined by your age, height and weight. This is the LEAST amount of calories your body needs daily for basic functionality- think digestion, brain functions, organ functions and blood flow. When you go below this number your body thinks it is starving and will begin to eat your muscles in order to stay alive and functioning. Yes, when you add in activity, you do need to increase your caloric intake.
    For instance, I am 36, 5'1", and 110 lbs...my BMR is 1251. Now, add in the fact that I workout 6 days per week and I need ( 1251*1.55) 1939 cals per day to maintain my weight. If I wanted to lose 1 lb per week, I would subtract 500: 1939-500=1439
    I need between 1251-1439 cals per day to avoid starvation mode and to lose weight.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:12 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Anything under 1200 is dangerous. You run the great risk of harming yourself. Also, keep in mind that all of the low fat, low sugar, low carb still is not good for you. It is typically very high in sodium which inhibits weight loss as well as causes hypertension among other issues.
    Exercise is essential to weight loss as well so I suggest undertaking that as well. Cardio and strength training work hand in hand in weight loss. As you build muscle you will burn more fat in cardio workouts.
    I started my journey in Dec. 09' and within 9 months lost 57 lbs and over 50" off my body. I tweaked my diet, began working out 6 days per week, weighing out my food, and got to my goal weight of 110 lbs and a size 0. It can be done in a healthy way consuming more calories.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:17 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I hope I haven't made it to starvation mode in just a few days! lol. But other than that, what you said is pretty much what I've been reading, so I thank you for that :) I think I'll try to tweak this so I am getting more calories, especially when I start exercising.

Seeing the numbers really helps, thanks for the great advice!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 10:29 PM on May. 26, 2011