Anyone else have kids on a gluten free caesin free diet?

meal ideas? snacks? help...i am new to all of this and i am lost.

mommy_wambles

Asked by mommy_wambles at 2:17 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Health

• We've been gluten free and low casein for over a year now. First thing is know exactly what ingredients are not safe.
    For a list of gluten containing ingredients, try http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html. For casein, http://www.godairyfree.org/Food-to-Eat/Food-Label-Info/Dairy-Ingredient-List.html
    I use to take the list with me to the grocery store, but now I leave it on the fridge.
    My son absolutely does not feel like he misses out on anything. The only thing he wishes he could have is goldfish crackers, but I make homemade ones that satisfy him. I just made him strawberry cupcakes last night using a Betty Crocker GF mix. For birthdays or parties, I only make GF cakes and cupcakes now and everyone enjoys them!
    Common foods our son enjoys and can have is Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles, Lucky Charms, Trix, most Lays products (cheetos, fritos, Lays stacks) (cont.)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:37 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i am interested too
    will be watching for your answers on this
    took the crap out of her diet, added some supplements
    looking for guidance on diet
    best way to start, tips to do and not to do

great question!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Read, read, read labels. Have a friend with a son that has celiacs. You would be amazed at what you'll find Gluten in. But as Gluten free diets are becoming more the normal as they are pinpointing many digestion issues to gluten consumption - more foods are labeled as Gluten Free and more Gluten Free foods are being made. For the Caesin Free, that's harder as so much has milk and milk product in it. Again, learn what the food industry labels are and read, read, read. Plan your grocery shopping to be a longer trip as you will have to read every ingredient on every label. Ask your grocery if they can special order products for you that are Gluten/Caesin free cheaper than you can find online. Good luck, be diligent and if look for online sources.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:24 PM on May. 26, 2011

• http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/

This lady has some good recipes.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:30 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I've had DS on a casein-free diet for years, though we tried going gluten-free too once. I think gluten-free is definitely the harder of the two and even more so when doing it in conjunction with casein-free. Nearly everything had to be homemade. I do recall basically doing lots of lean meats, fish, and veggies, homemade soups, quinoa, rice, gluten-free pasta, etc. For snacks, I mostly stuck with fresh fruit or Lara Bars. Both my kids were (are) big fruit and veggie eaters so that helped a lot.

There are some pretty good GFCF cookbooks available ... or so I hear, I haven't personally tried them. Maybe check out amazon.com and see what pops up. Also, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have list of GFCF products and often times recipes are included as well. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2011

• LOTS of fresh veggies, fruits, meats, and other grains.

Both of my grandfathers have celiac disease so they have to be gluten free. I have to be wheat free. None of us have a milk allergy so we (I) don't have to deal with that. Although my one grandfather that has to be gluten free also a diabetics.

You just have to think outside the box some. You can make stir fries for dinners. Instead of serving say mash potatoes try a plain baked, or rice, or a second veggie. There are noodles, flours, cookies, breads, that you can buy that are gluten free, wheat free, and caisen free, but they are expensive-so it's best to learn to do without.

Almost any sandwich can be turn into a salad. My family loves having BLTs. I can't eat the bread, so I make for myself a BLT salad. Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato salad with a little bit of Italian dressing on top.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:32 PM on May. 26, 2011

• for restaurants he can eat Jack in the Box, Burger King, Red Robin, Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebees, BJ's....... I just check every restaurants website for their ingredients list or call to see if they have one available. Most restaurants will have at least grilled chicken and veggies, which is almost always a safe choice. Any questions, feel free to pm me!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Just want to reiterate - we are low casein, not casein free. What that means is that he doesn't have regular milk or yogurt or cheese, but we don't eliminate all casein containing ingredients. The foods I listed that he is able to have may contain casein. You will have to check that with the list :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:43 PM on May. 26, 2011