My ex husband wants us to be "friends." Is there any way that this can happen?

The divorce was final in Oct...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• depends on you and him.. im not friends with my ex and i will never be..
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 2:23 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My SIO is friends with his ex...like lierally friends...he;s helping her set up her match.com page...lol...weather you can be friends or not all depends on how your relationship is and weather you think you could be friends or not.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 2:24 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I guess it could be. I'm not like "good" friends with my ex husband but we get along very well. We have a child together so its pretty important to me that we don't fight. I am remarried (he is not). I also have another child now in addition to our daughter. He's even had my daughter spend the night over there with her sister. So yeah we get along quite well. I was just over there yesterday helping our daughter go through her winter clothes & clean her room.
    Anonymous

• Rarely, and usually when you are it ends up blowing up. I would strive for being cordial and agree to do what's best for the children (if there are children)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:26 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think the only way it can happen is if you both truly have no romantic feelings towards eachother.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:28 PM on May. 26, 2011

• it depends on how it ended, if you both agreed it will never work but dont hate eachother, then yeah u can. if there was plenty of betrayal and disgust, i highly doubt it. but i've seen many make it work.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:28 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I dont agree about the "blow up" opinion...We've been divorced for 7 years & get along. I even went & got his cat out of the pound for him because it got loose & he doesnt get off work till after they close.
    Anonymous

• We have two daughters together and I want us to be cordial, but I find it so hard to do at times. The divorce has only been final a couple months and we were together for 16 years....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I might think you could be friendly, as in cordial and polite, talking about the weather or a recent vacation you took, etc. I don't know about actual friends, to me that would mean like getting together for a Super Bowl party or BBR or something like that. I guess it depends on the circumstances of your split, if you still share friends, etc. If you share a child then of course you will be in each other's lives forever and if you can be friendly things for your child will be so much better if you can be together at birthday parties, holidays or whatever and get along and both be able to enjoy yourselves. I would think it would also matter how you feel about the other having a new relationship- can you hang out with your ex and a new woman in his life, and can he be around you with another man without having bad feelings?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Being "friendly" & being "friends" are different. It entirely possible to be friendly. I am friendly with my ex husband. We were married 10 yrs.Been divorced 5 1/2 yrs now. It was kind of rough at first, I admit. He still made me angry to just look at him but I put it aside for our child. Now I just feel like, his personal life isn't my problem anymore. We dont get "deep" with stuff. We talk about his garden or a tv show or some light convo. We dont hang out, we dont just talk like real friends but we get along. I think if you can strive for that, its probably enough. Dont expect to be friends with someone when there is a history of hurt but you can put it behind you & be friendly for the sake of the child.
    Anonymous