Vent about my husband's teeth

My husband and I went to the dentist yesterday.

My mouth is a disaster. Bone loss, twisted teeth, unhealthy gums, cavities. Ugh. Lots of money and pain and hassle.

My husband had one tiny cavity that was a result of his wisdom teeth, and it's the first cavity he's ever had in his life. All is well in his mouth.

I almost smacked him.

My husband was raised by drug dealers who neglected him much of the time. He was fed only formula bottles which I'm sure he was left to fall asleep sucking on many times.

He sucked his thumb at night until he was 10 years old. My baby is also a major thumb-sucker. I *never* sucked my thumb, and was only breastfed, which doesn't cause tooth decay.

My husband is a sugar fiend. Sugar sugar sugar. I have never liked sugar much, and was raised eating very healthy. His whole life and up to now (though I try so hard to stop him) he drinks soda right before bed, gets up and drinks in the middle of the night, etc.

I have never liked soda or candy at all.

My husband has probably brushed his teeth a handful of years out of his life, and NEVER EVER flossed.

I was raised brushing and flossing like crazy and still do.

Everyone says, "Oh, it's just genetics for you."
But even then it seems kind of miraculous that our teeth are in such opposite states of health. It's amazing to me and infuriating.

Ok, I'm done. Do you guys think it's just genetics or what?

Blue_Spiral

Asked by Blue_Spiral at 2:24 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Health

• That sucks and is not fair. But yes I think its genetics. My 4 year old had 7 cavities and ive been brushing his teeth religiously since before they came in . Ha ha.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:26 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I forgot to add...I beleive its genetics but also other factors such as low enamel and the actually placement of the teeth.
    mlmsm928

• Yes, it is genetics. My brother, sister and I - all the same parents, same brushing habits, same dentists. My little sister never had a dentist visit without having to come back to have a tooth filled. She'd had 3 root canals by the age of 30. My brother and I, very few cavities and no root canals as we are all approaching or into our 40s.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:28 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think genetics play a large factor. I lean more towards your husband and have never had any issue with my teeth. Sadly and disgustingly I can't say I even brush them regularly. It seems like the last thing on my mind when getting ready and in a hurry. I have never had a cavity.
    Anonymous

• It is probably genetics.

My DH's father was in concentration camps from age 16-22. That's 6 years with barely any food, no toothbrush, let alone health or dental care. His mom's family escaped and she grew up in NYC from age 8. His teeth were great. He had 1 partial denture and his gums were amazing up until he died at age 85. She just had her remaining teeth pulled and is wearing 2 full dentures at 80. She's had gum problems for years and there was barely anything left of the teeth they pulled. And unluckily for DH his teeth and gums tend towards mom instead of dad, but our dentist is on it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• So, then it seems like there's little point to trying at all.

It's all just luck...

I mean, I still see a lot of reasons to take care of your teeth, like heart health, etc. Bacteria in your mouth and all that but jeez.
    So disheartening.
    Blue_Spiral

Comment by Blue_Spiral (original poster) at 2:34 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Genetics are a big part of it. Just be glad you have the habits you do-- otherwise you might have had even more problems! Hopefully your kids will inherit his teeth!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Try upping your game by adding fluoride rinse to your brusing habits. Remember not to rinse with water after using the fluoride rinse. See the dentist every 6 months, and ask your dentist if there is anything you can do to help your genetic situation like an electric toothbrush etc.
    Anonymous

• I know what u mean!
    I didnt grow up with good brushing habits & stuff.. and as an adult ive gotten better & every time i go to the dentist its a huge dent in the pocket.. and the last time i went i found out i have periodontitis.
    My dh on the other hand never flosses. and only brushes teeth if i say something .. and yet in 10 yrs hes had 1 small cavity!
    Anonymous

• Ha Ha ... sounds like me and Jeremy! However, I never had any problem with my teeth until after I had my first child ... and, it has been nothing but downhill since then. : )
    cmb0414

Answer by cmb0414 at 11:49 PM on May. 26, 2011