Cooking cheaply anyone!?

Our budget just got cut and I am looking for ways to save. The couponing field sucks around here, so I don't have much luck with that (unless it's something I wouldn't usually get, so what's the point!?) SO! I am going to try cutting my grocery list in 1/2 by cooking well rounded meals at a cheap price. Is there a forum for this, does anyone have any tips!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• when i need cheap meals I do things like mac and cheese with canned tuna and peas, pancake night, sandwiches, bacon sandwiches, top roman noodles, hot dogs, hamburgers, french toast, grilled cheese, salad, sausage with fried pts, buy what is on sale and work meals around that.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:12 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Check out the dave ramsey group.. there are ladies on there who spend 50/week to feed their families.
    TheHappyChicken

Answer by TheHappyChicken at 3:13 PM on May. 26, 2011

• We also have to eat frugally... Here are some staple meals in our house : Homemade mashed potatoes with beef gravy, or hamburger & beef gravy, tri-color pasta or spaghetti with marinara sauce or basil sauce ( comes in a jar ), grilled American or cheddar cheese sandwiches & green beans, 5 bean salad, tuna casserole, breakfast for dinner---scrambled eggs & toast, or pancakes and Candian bacon. A lot of these meal have little or no meat. Meat is expensive. But,---your family will be healthier for eating less of it. Truly, most Americans eat far too much meat. We also cut out regular desserts. Instead, I have apples around most of the time. And, I usually have bananas which are inexpensive, also the reasonably priced carrots, an excellent source of vitamin A.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 3:21 PM on May. 26, 2011

• 1) check you local ads and sales
    2)Meal plan based on the sales and ads.
    3)do an internet search for coupons for the sale items on your list
    4)STICK TO YOUR LIST

Cheap meal options:
    Breakfast for dinner: eggs $2 toast $2 in season or canned fruit $1-3 dollars. cheese for the eggs $2 les than $10 and if your family is lees than 5 people you can do it twice for the cost
    Whole chicken into soup: a whole chicken is the cheapest meat. Usually around $5-7 a chicken. Roast, grill, crock pot for taco or casseroles... the options are endless. Once the chicken is cut off the bone you can boil the carcass to make a fabulous stock. Add some veggies and rice and you have another meal!
    Beans or lentils with rice- the cheapest main dish around. a bag of rice and a bag of beans will set you back about $4 and feed you twice if you family is not large
    Go meatless- beans eggs and cheese are cheaper alternatives for protien.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:27 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Bake your own: A bag of flour some eggs ,sugar, oil and yeast are cheap compared to buying pre-made breads, muffins and waffles/pancakes.
    Water: water is good for so many things. It is the only drink you really 'need' in the house and drinking more can cut back on how much snacking takes place in the home
    skip the convenience packages- don't buy the cute little snacks that come it little baggies...It's cheaper to buy it in bulk OR switch to fruit.
    healthy filler: a bag of frozen veggies is $1 if you get store brand. You can skimp on the meat and add another bag for less money.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:32 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Here is a cheap meal and easy meal for you.
    Chicken fried rice.
    I take 1 boneless chicken breast (or can chicken breast, it is higher than raw) cut into small pieces and brown in butter until done. set aside and use butter to brown 2 boxes of chicken rice a roni ( I buy the off brand at save alot or aldis it's cheaper) follow directions on the box for rice a roni. when you have about 2 minutes left on the rice add chicken back in and fry 2 eggs in another skillet. cut into small pieces and add to the chiken and rice mixture. I have also added peas and they liked it too. I serve with bread and butter. Feeds about 4-5 people and costs about $3.00 for the meal.
    cloyall

Answer by cloyall at 3:36 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yeah... Rice is nice,---and really cheap. We eat it a lot. Put canned peas in it. Add mushroom soup. YUM !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 4:02 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I am thinking more of a rounded day of eating. little veggies, fruits meat and grain...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:11 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think you have gotten some really good ideas here.

Breakfast: Home made pancakes(use whole wheat flour) fruit
    Lunch: Home made bread with home made lentil soup (soup has carrots and celery in it)
    Snack-fruit or home made bread with PB
    Dinner-Read beans and brown rice, 2 frozen veggies, grilled peaches for dessert.

Breakfast- spinach and cheese quiche
    Lunch-Home made Mac and Cheese with Peas and carrots
    snack- carrots in ranch
    Dinner-Roasted chicken 2 frozen veggies bisciuts and yogurt for dessert

Breakfast-boiled egg and toast with fruit
    Lunch-Left over chicken sandwiches on home made rolls with carrot sticks
    Snack-fruit
    Dinner-chicken soup with home made corn bread.
    Dnack
    Anonymous

• Breakfast-home made waffles with yogurt and fruit
    Lunch left over soup with bisciuts
    Snack cheese
    dinner- spaghetti (A jar with whole wheat pasta and add some eggplant and zucchini to it)

Breakfast-Home made pancakes and fruit
    Lunch 4 days worth of left overs
    snack-Home made muffin
    dinner- sloppy joes with two veggies and apple sauce for dessert ( you can use lentils)

6 days maybe $60 worth of stuff if you have a few staples already.

Breakfast-fruit and cottage cheese
    lunch-tuna noodle made with kraft tuna and peas
    snack- fresh veggies in dip
    dinner- chicken legs grilled 2 veggies and home made corn muffins

Anonymous