Its healthier but is it cheaper to

make stuff from scratch? I think it costs A LOT more to make everything from scratch.

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 8:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The start up may cost more, but in the end you do save. A loaf of bread costs around a dollar, but for all the ingredients you can make a loaf of bread for pennies if you were to take the time and figure out the cost per serving.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It is far less expensive in the long run. You may think, well if I want to make cookies I have to spend $10 or $15 on ingredients...but those same ingredients will make far more than a batch of cookies, right? When you go by what it costs per serving, you'd be amazed how much more expensive prepackaged stuff really is.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• ah yes! you are right
    Anonymous

• I agree. There is some ad on TV that I've seen recently... KFC maybe? Anyway they total up the cost of buying the ingredients in the store and it is more than the $10 of buying the 10 piece meal or whatever. But I am shaking my head and thinking, but they have a lot more ingredients than would make just the 10 pieces, so the ad is faulty.

Answer by Bmat at 8:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It may cost a bit more to keep the staples in your house but once established it is by far cheaper and healthier to make things from sctatch and IMO taste much better too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• its cheaper to make things by scratch IF YOU HAVE THE TIME! some ppls time is worth more to them then the few $s saved by making things from scratch. personally, i take a half & half approach...i can make pizza from scratch but i'll also grab a frozen one in the store, or call up dominos if i dont have the time/energy to do it myself.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think it's way cheaper once you get stocked up on the basics. And I feel much better feeding my kids things that I have made myself. But I'm a SAHM, so I have the time for it, I know not everyone does.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's definitely much cheaper to make things from scratch. I feed a family of 7 on $250 a month or less and I make just about everything from scratch and it has to be tasty enough to please everyone. (I can make chicken strips from scratch that my kids prefer over KFC's)

When I was a working mom I still cooked from scratch. I planned my time well and often made freezer meals on the weekends, or I'd make double meals and freeze one (lasagna, for instance, freezes well). I would take a couple of hours one weekend a month and make up 10 - 12 homemade pizzas and pop them in the freezer. Takes very little time to preheat the oven and bake a frozen pizza or meal that you've made yourself.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Once you have a nicely stocked pantry, the cost per item is not expensive. Getting the pantry stocked up for the first time can cost some money. I buy some items in bulk, resulting in a serious price break. For instance, where I live, a 4 oz jar of yeast sells for $4.00. I bought a pound of yeast for $4.50. I get a 25lb bag of flour for roughly $8, that's $.32 a lb.

For things like homemade macaroni and cheese, and can be a bit expensive, certainly more than a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, but it tastes so much better and is definitely better for you.

Two large pizza's from Pizza Hut will cost roughly $25 (the last time I ordered one, which was over 2 years ago). I can make 4 large (thin crust) pizza's, generously topped, for about $10 and have ingredients left over.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008