What to do?! Newly pottied trained and going on a 3 hr trip?

I don't want to buy pull ups b/c the made him take 2 steps back everytime during potty training. I have diapers left but really don't want to put him in those either. Do we just go in big boy under wear and hope he lets us know in time? Any advice from anyone who has taken a long trip on how it went with a newly pottied trained lil one? My son has been pottied trained for almost a month and a lot of days he can go a couple hrs before he needs to go but i don't know how he will do in the car?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:39 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take along a potty.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Frequent stops is a good idea but sometimes there is no store when the lil one needs to go so we took along the potty chair for those just in case moments LOL... We had a mini van at the time so it worked out great for us..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:41 PM on May. 26, 2011

• We stopped a lot w my son on our first few trips. Sometimes he wouldn't like a particular toilet when we stopped so we would have to try the next gas station or rest stop. Good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 3:41 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I was just going to suggest that, pookiekins. The problem you might run into is that he won't tell you in enough time for you guys to stop and get to a restroom. Bring along a plastic potty in the car so he can either just use that instead of stopping, or use it if he just can't wait to get to another restroom.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:42 PM on May. 26, 2011

• take the potty. Line the car seat with a towel. Have him potty before you leave the house Stop in the middle for a break. I think you will be surprised. 3 hours isn't to bad. Just remind him often that you can stop the car whenever.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:42 PM on May. 26, 2011

• stop at least half way and dont let him drink too much.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Don't put him in a pull up or diaper. Just make frequent potty stops. I remember having my son go on the side of the road once.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Remind him that he still needs to tell you he has to pee. Limit liquids in the car and schedule pit stops to make him try to go at least every hour even if he doesn't tell you he needs to go. Its a pain but it can be done.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:46 PM on May. 27, 2011