MY 2 yr old is gettig ready to potty train! How do i go about introducing it to him?

MY son will be 2 yrs okd in june and is already taking his clothes and diaper off all the time and is curious every time big brother goes to the bathroom...My eldest son the daycare pretty much potty trained so this is kinda all new to me.Im not sure what the best do's and don't are! All your opinions and advise would be welcomed!

Amber459

Asked by Amber459 at 3:40 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's a constant take him to the potty...make sure you know when he drinks...don't let him walk around with a sippy cup or anything...usually about 20min. after you take ihim to the potty...chances are he wont go right away and may even sit there and as soon as you get him off pee in his pants...it's normal...but as soon as he starts going and starts getting the "feeling" down he will get it...it takes patients..some get in days others..like my kids...take wks. to get it.GL

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Seriously the only thing that has worked for me (including with DD 2 who we just started with this today) is to let them run around naked and try and convince then to stay on the potty till they go pee. For my oldest this was let her zombie out to cartoons for hours at a time until she realized what she was doing and then rewarding her with stickers or an m and m, with DD 2 it was letting her eat at the coffee table while using the potty as a chair. Weird? sure, but it's working and she's gone 6 times today in the potty by herself with no accidents :) She just turned 2 april 28th. DD1 was potty trained before she was 2, but she was easier for some reason. Good luck. Try and find something that works and stick with it! :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i took my son every 15 min in the beginining then increased the time when i saw he didn't really need to go and one day decided to let him tell me when he had to go and since that day he has been fully trained. It took about a month for my son and he was 27 months old when i started
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• just start anytime by taking him in their and sitting him on it. Do it for a few months until he gets used to is and fnally will sit still long enough to go, thats when he is really ready and I always at that point, go 1 weekend cold turkey and if no accidents then we continue for good.

Don't scold, just let them learn gradually and expect that it will take time and maturity in the child for it to work. :O)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Oh and I let them have all the liquids they could drink while I was using this approach so they had to go a lot.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• oh and a good idea to get them to sit still on the potty, get a toy or two that they can ONLY play with while they are on the potty.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Thank you for all the great advise.....i am going to try a few and see which one he takes to and stick to it... is it best to get a potty chair or just start him on the big potty?
    Amber459

Comment by Amber459 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on May. 26, 2011

• DS1 potty trained in front of the TV. A potty chair was essential - I really liked the Baby Bjorn 2 piece potty. When he moved to the toilet, we had a Flip N Flush. It made it easier for everyone else in the family to share the same toilet.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:36 PM on May. 26, 2011