Tell me about life with 3 kids...

We are hoping to add a third child to our family. What's it Luke for you having 3 (or more) children? Hardest adjustments? Least expected situations? Anything you want to share is appreciated:) thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• The third man out... as my aunt in her 70s calls it... the closer in age they all are... there is always a third man out, and it varies later in life by the situation of which kid it is?

In all honesty, once I learned to live with 2 adding more was nothing! In fact if you can juggle 2 you can handle more anytime... I always joke that those with just one child are babysitting through life because that was a breeze compared to the reality of having "children"
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:52 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Insane. Or maybe that is just my house! We had to buy a bigger vehicle in order to fit a car seat and a booster, which in turn means more gas used. The bright side, my 2 youngest are best friends and when their older brother doesn't want to play with them, they have each other. My oldest is 10, the middle one is 6 and the youngest is 4.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:55 PM on May. 26, 2011

• A little crazy until you get your routine down. I have 5 and it was never much of a big deal for me. You have to have patience and a sense of humor.

Answer by gemgem at 3:57 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It's true that 2 will play nicely and leave out the third. But for the most part it is great. Usually one kid is busy with something and that leaves 2 to play. It's hard when all 3 have to be driven somewhere different.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:59 PM on May. 26, 2011

• mine are 1,3 and 5...way too close right now in age to get along at all...my oldest are always fighting and I know it's only a matter of time before it;s all 3 fighting..I'm waiting for the day they are old enough to just not care enough about eachother to even bother saying anything to one another...bu tI do hope thye are close when they are older...which is why i had them all 2 yrs. apart...I just remindmyself of that everytime I hear a scream followed by a "mommy" he/she's hitting me...lol
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:00 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Biggest ajustment from 2 to 3 was she was a GIRL! lol and no sleep and still having 2 more to care for PLUS the baby and myself.

Least expected thing was my 1st 2 pregnancies were normal by the books and #3 was bedrest for me for about 8months, an early baby and a 5 lb baby when I was use to bigger ones. And she was a breath holder and was always holding it til she turned blue! SCARY~

I have 4 and now that the baby baby stage is over, it is getting easier and more FUN! but the 1st year is always difficult IMO. adjusting, kids adjusting, nursing, sickness, tired, hormones, ect.

And the #1 thing to remember about having kids is that a moms love doesn't divide, it multiplies! You will have plenty to go around for however many kids you want to have.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:05 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My kids now are 3 1/2 and 15 months. We are ttc so they could all be pretty close in age. I imagine a third willbe like adding a second- I can't imagine life w a third now, but once he or she is here I won't be able to imagine life without him/her. Thanks for all the input:)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:11 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I had 3 under 3. It was crazy but fun. I did try to do everything for everyone at first and ended up having a nervous breakdown but once I realized I didn't have to have a perfectly clean house and kids 24/7 (which was literally impossible) I was much better. We just winged it and did whatever each day.
    Hardest for me was going from 3 to 4. my 3rd was easy. We were so use to having a baby in the house that it wasn't a big deal to add another one. But by the time #4 came the older kids were toddlers/preschoolers and I had gotten used to not having a baby around. That was hard. My kids are now almost 11, 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 5 and 10 months. Things run pretty smooth now having kids that don't depend on me for everything. And the older 3 (2 girls and a boy) are best friends. They do almost everything together and mostly have the same friends or hang out together.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:24 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It's just busy. My kids are a bit older now (9, almost 7, and 4.5) so we're through the baby/toddler stage. What I find is busy now is the extracurriculars, the homework- things like that. The day to day maintenance is less, but there is always somewhere we have to be, and since it's not one parent to one child anymore, there's always one (or sometimes two!) extra kids along at every activity. But it works out.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:19 PM on May. 26, 2011