Not eating

My son will be 2 in August and for the past probably 2 weeks, I am throwing out more food than he's eating. Even things he normally loves, he is barely touching lately. He's not showing any other symptoms of being sick...he's just not eating a whole lot! He normally has a big appetite too. Should I be worried about this or is it normal?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 3:57 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Around two my son started going through eating phases. At this age their growth slows down a bit. If he about be on a growth spurt just wouldn't stop eating, he slept more and he would ask for milk instead of water or juice. When he wasn't on a growth spurt I was giving him vitamins and pediasure and worried. After several times of this cycle I caught on. If it goes on without any improvement for a few weeks I would check in with your ped, but my guess its just a phase.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:43 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Don't worry, he will eat when he gets hungry.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Normal. I was worry too. My ped said that at the age of 2 children tend to eat less. Keep presenting the foods. As pp said your child will eat when he gets hungry.

"He's not showing any other symptoms of being sick." is good that you have mentioned this. I was going to say call the doctor.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 4:02 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Sounds normal, I wound't sweat it
    meow_meow

Answer by meow_meow at 5:05 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Sounds normal. As long as he's drinking and staying hydrated, he should be fine.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:09 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Like CookieMom said as long as he's staying hydrated he's good. My ped said that to me many times b/c my son goes through stages of just not wanting to eat and only drink milk. He said that it is okay and normal. Just keep offering the food and he'll eat when he's hungry.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:28 PM on May. 26, 2011

• That's normal. My son will have days where he'll barely even look at food, much less eat it. lol But then, he'll have days where he won't stop eating. I was really worried because he was barely eating for almost 3 weeks, but the doctor said just to keep him hydrated and to keep offering him whatever food I have. There's also stuff like pediasure and all kinds of nutrient rich drinks that you can get if you start to get too worried about it, but it is perfectly normal and I wouldn't worry too much. :)
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 6:30 PM on May. 26, 2011