WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH THRUSH?

I think my lil' one has the thrush. His tongue is covered in white bumps. I am breastfeeding.

ratmama

Asked by ratmama at 8:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got some stuff from the ER, I had not Idea what thrush was I thought it was just milk built up on her tongue. And it got so bad her mouth was bleeding. I have heard of something you can get at a drugstore. but the prescription stuff worked really good it was gone in just a week.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 8:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my twins had thrush, we took them to the doctorand she prescibed meds for them. they can get it on their genitals so make sure you check often and get the rights meds for it
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You need to take him to the doctor, right away. Thrush gets worse and will cause him to not want to eat because it hurts so bad. A doctor will be able to determine if he has it for sure and get him on the right medication right away, once he's on the medication, he'll start feeling better. Avoid anything too warm, spicy or bitter.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Get to the doctor....tomorrow!!! If it goes untreated it can spread down through their system and out their bum. Plus infect your breasts....not good. They just give them a couple meds, one is a topical medicine you put in their mouth a few times a day. I used a q-tip to spread it around and clean my sons mouth out after he was born. It's very common from vaginal deliveries.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Medicine... Nystatin get it for you and the baby (for your nipples) so you don't give it back and forth
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• If that's what he has, you should both be treated at the same time. Take your son to the doctor to be evaluated and to get a prescription. And then see your doctor (or possibly a certified lactation consultant) to get a prescription for yourself. I had good luck with nystatin to treat it (drops for him, topical ointment for me). I also recommend avoiding antibacterial soaps or hand gels, and clean everything that touches baby's mouth or your breast in VERY hot water daily. You can use a 25% vinegar solution on your nipples after every feeding to reduce yeast on your breasts. And you might want to cut down on your sugar intake, and start taking probiotics (acidophilus supplements). It can be really tough to get rid of thrush. Good luck!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• nystatin oral and maybe the cream if they have the yeast rash.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Oh that sounds so painful, I hope your little one feels better really soon.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My son had thrush and we were given Nystatin several times and what finally cured it for us was not an rx med, but something called gentian violet. I contacted a lactation consultant about the thrush after we'd been hit with our third bought of it and she told me that Nystatin is only about 50% effective. The gentian violet is very, very, very messy. It's a dark purple liquid that you swab in the baby's mouth, making sure to get it all around his whole mouth. I was told to swab him once a day for a week and nurse him right after so that it would get my nipples too, but I guess you could just swab your nipples. Anyway your baby will drool purple all over everything, so only use old sleepers or clothes that you don't mind being stained, but it worked like a charm.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My son had thrush and I had no idea (I was new at breast feeding)! We went to the doctor for shots and they told me that he had it. I thought that the little white parts in the back of his cheek that formed the day before was residue from the breast milk (stupid me). They thought I would have felt the pain but I felt nothing. I guess I didn't get it. They will give you antibiotics to put in their check for a week or so. Go to the doctor soon because it isn't going to go away. It's a fungal infection that even bleeds if not taken care of. It can pass between the mother and the baby during feedings which will cause you to have sharp pain in your nipples or breast. Luckily they caught my son's right when it was forming so it never affected me.
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2008