How can i get my daughter to stop biting her twin sister?

we have tried alot of different things and nothing seems to work.

brewer03

Asked by brewer03 at 4:06 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Flicking her mouth or biting her back?
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 4:09 PM on May. 26, 2011

• or even having her sister bite her back
    Augusta

• ~*Hugs*~.... IDK! My mom said I was a biter when I was really little, and she tried EVERYTHING, and I guess one day when I went to hug her, I bit her chest, and without thinking she bit me back... and I never bit another person. I do not reccomend anyone copy, but I heard that is what stopped me... I don't remember any of it

And I am grateful that none of the three kids I have ever did... really thankful
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:10 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i agree bite her back thats what i did mine and they never bit again if you arent for that try timeout...you dont have to viciously bite her it wont take much to get the point across
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 4:13 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Augusta...I like your system. But I would like to say this. Children do things that we don't like. We express are discontent by reprimanding the child. But unfortunately sometimes these things AREN'T a on-time-deal. If your dd continues biting you from now on will have to supervise your children at all times. This way at the first sign of problem you can order your dd to stop before the biting starts.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 4:15 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think toddlers do not have the words to expressing their feelings so they bite out of frustration.  Talk to your girls about feelings, and role play with them. Teaching them words to use and how to handle a situation. emphasise with them ( When sister makes you mad, don't bite tell sister to stop and walk away).  When biting does happen I would say firmly, no biting, you hurt sister and give a time out.  (1minute per year).  When time out is over remind her to use her words.  Let her know it's okay to feel mad but it's not okay to bite.  Good Luck..

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 4:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My mom said I was a biter...she got me to stop by biting me...that's all she could do to get me to stop (LAST RESORT).
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:30 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I have toddler twins & I think it is a fair bit different than most other "biting toddler" situations (just in the intensity of it, not that it's somehow "different") because you have two children at the exact developmental level, with the same interests, who are together ALL THE TIME. I guess it could be similar in daycare situations, when same-age children are together, but somehow when it's the same two all the time....I don't know. My boys don't get a break from each other & constantly have to deal with the fact of each other in their lives. This is a blessing for sure but it's also a stress.
    I have been supporting my two with lots of validation & empathy, teaching them via understanding why it happens & modeling a different way of handling those feelings, and it has resulted in REALLY flexible & responsive toddlers, but the situations or stimulus is pretty relentless, so it's an ongoing work in progress.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:01 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Anyway, when I get a chance to come back and post more detail (I can describe my thinking & my response in the moment to situations, and also how they've handled it) I will do so. I posted now so I can be sure to find the question when I come back.

Do you want to post some more details about what kinds of situations are the biggest triggers for her biting? Is it always one twin doing the biting? (We have one boy who is more likely to bite, but both have done it.) Is it most often during conflicts over toys or objects?

In brief, I don't respond in a punitive way, nor would I ever bite back. (I can understand the impulse to do so.) Few things have been as triggering & upsetting to me as the biting problem, so it has been a big area for us. But it was important for me to see both boys as good & to understand, then respond constructively, so that goal was my focus. I'll try to get back here soon!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:07 AM on May. 27, 2011