My 4 month old wakes up screaming about 5 times a night, why? What do I do to stop it?

My daughter will fall asleep for the night and on average she'll wake up 5 times screaming like shes in pain. I check her and nothing is ever poking her, huting her ect. As soon as I put her up or give her a binkie she stops and falls right back to sleep. It kinda scares me how loud she yells, why is this happening and how can I stop it?

Gracie_Kayy

Asked by Gracie_Kayy at 4:07 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she eat okay? She could have a acid reflects that keeps her up like that
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 4:08 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I dont think its that because she eats relly well. She never spits up or has bad gas or anything. ITs almost like she has nightmares.
    Gracie_Kayy

Comment by Gracie_Kayy (original poster) at 4:12 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i would ask her doctor just to be safe.
    caeruleusdea

Answer by caeruleusdea at 4:13 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My kids do that sometimes too and they are 2 and 3, it isn't everynight but still we do have our rough nights. Since she is only 4 months and not really eating anything besides milk (i would assume). It could be nightmares. I rearranged my 2 older kids room before I had our 3rd and everynight for a month my son would wake up pointing at the wall (young imaginations can be vivid and real) So I put the room back the way it was and I ordered off of paperlanternstore.com a beautiful star that we put on a dimmer switch. It seemed to be better, we actually ordered 2, one for our baby too. Also I am not sure what your religious view is but we make sure to pray with the kids everynight and if they wake up with a nightmare I pray over them again and let them know that they aren't alone and that there are angels watching over them.

Hope this helps a little.
    lilbrewcrew

Answer by lilbrewcrew at 4:25 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Is the child running a fever? or to little to pull at the ears but could be an ear infection
    greatblueGG

Answer by greatblueGG at 4:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It could be a bad dream. I like the PP idea of buying something to comfort her. I know there are things you can buy that can hear when your baby cries and start playing a soothing song or sound for them. You could also get one of those fisher price things that hang on the crib. At 4 months she may be able to turn it on by herself if it's low enough. I got mine from Walmart and even though it wasn't cheap, it was an awesome purchase. My son's 2 1/2 and still uses his at grandma and papa's. We only took his one away at home because we don't have anything to hang it on in his room with his toddler bed. He's fine without it now, but it was a much needed comfort when he was younger.
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:01 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It's natural for human babies to sleep with their mothers and nurse frequently during the night. Babies that use pacifiers and don't sleep with their moms may wake up crying many times a night and there be nothing wrong. For all of time and still in most places babies sleep with mom and nurse, we can't expect babies in the US to change in a century or so of artificial feeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:07 PM on May. 26, 2011

• she might be scarred... its normal to wake up and night and turn over, etc... she's waking up and doesn't know where she is and she's alone.
    We kept our little one in our room in a bassinet until she was 5 months old and then we moved her into her own room- once she was old enough to self sooth when she wakes up at night, and old enough to know that even if she can't see us we are still there
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:04 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would call the doc.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:35 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Hmmm. My kids didn't SCREAM. They might have fussed or cried when they were sick but no screaming. They were pretty relaxed and slept all night in their cribs....didn't need a pacifier after about 6 months-one year. I would check with her Doctor because the screaming thing sounds scary. Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:00 PM on May. 26, 2011