I seriously need to vent.

I have been getting food stamps for a YEAR now... I just had to go in and renew, and I found out that...even though I am single, unemployed and 8 months pregnant, because I am a STUDENT for another 2 weeks.... they are taking away my food stamps. Really???!!! Seriously??? And I can't reapply bc in order to get it back, they need a student discharge letter or something. I will be going back in fall...but I cant work bc I cant afford child care. Im SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW! The lady treated me like I was some sort of liar telling me I never claimed I was a student originally, then when I asked her when I applied, she told me last June. Well DUH! I wasnt a student last june, hence the reason I never said so!!! Aaaahhh. I try not to let stuff like this ruin my mood/day... but it already has. ANd I have lots of homework... but I cannot focus on it. Awesome. Thank you for letting me flip out a little.

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 4:15 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't understand? Do you get paid to be a student or something? How does that disqualify you from recieving food assitance? :/ weird.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I have absolutely no idea. I only get financial aid, which I use what is left over to pay rent and other bills... but leaves me very little for food, if any.
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 4:21 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Re apply anyways. Being a student does NOT disqualify you.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:27 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would think in order to get a good job you need to get an education. Your 8 month pregnant and they took your food stamps away because your going to school to improve your life. However, if you stay home and do nothing to better your life you qualify for assistance. Maybe this is why people don't better themselves they are afraid that they will loose their benefits. Does not make sense to me. Hope all works out for you!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 4:27 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Appeal the decision. If you have a child now see if you can apply for that child only. In GA, if your unemployed at all you can't receive food stamps but, your children can.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:34 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Here in Ohio, As long as you are employed or a full time student you get benfits. I know because I got my benefits being a full time student. Also, you have to report anychanges between your renewal periods. That's prob why they think you are lying because you didn't report any changes. I would definitely appeal their decision. Let them know your situation and see what they say. Hope all goes well for you.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 6:41 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think it's because if you're student they think that means you can work. Which normally I'd agree with- but it's next to impossible to find a job at 8 months pregnant. I'm not sure if you can talk some sense into them though. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I had that happen to me when I was 18. I had 2 kids, was single, worked 2 jobs and needed help. I was denied because I was honest and told them I had a car payment. I couldn't afford to just buy a car, so I had a loan. She said if I could afford a car I could afford food. I told her I have to have a car to get to work. By the way, the car wasn't some fancy BMW, it was a Plymouth Breeze!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Are you in Michigan? Because that d-bag governor just removed students from those qualified for public assistance here in the mitten. If you are in Michigan, you should sign a petition to remove that d-bag from office. He is going to ruin this state.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 10:43 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I am in Oregon.
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 5:45 PM on May. 27, 2011