Will White People Go to the National Black Museum?

This is the heading for an article I just read.
http://www.theroot.com/views/not-welcome-neighborhood

As much as I feel it's an outrageous question, and an ignorant one at that, I feel like over and over we're bombarded with these race related issues where it could have been avoided in the first place had we just recognized American history for what it is.

My opinion? American history is American history. Period. African-Americans are part of our history. Why is there always such segregation when pertaining to it?

If we had a National White Museum, we'd be racist.
If we had a White Entertainment Television channel, we'd be racist.
If employers had to hire a certain amount of whites, we'd be racist.
If we had college fund for whites only, we'd be racist.

Note, i am NOT saying we should have these things, but why the double standard?

DJsMommy610

Asked by DJsMommy610 at 4:56 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not Jewish and I go to the Museum of Tolerance....

but ...Yes there is a double standard.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:03 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm white and I would go. I don't know about the racist claims.

As for the double standard, I don't know why. History is history but sometimes you get a better representation of the history you are learning when the venue is dedicated to that subject.

Interesting question.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:08 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I totally and completely agree with you, OP. I doubt I would go, not because its deemed "black museum", but probably because I would never have the funds to travel to it (depending on where it is located).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:11 PM on May. 26, 2011

• What does color have to do with going to the museum?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:21 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I have been to the Black Holocaust Museum in my city- very interesting

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes, there definitely is a double standard but there were also drastically different circumstances in our history

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:31 PM on May. 26, 2011

• If it were near by I'ld go. But I've also been to plantations which are now museums, my only two first cousins are black, and I know more about black history that I do about the presidents. So, it probably wouldn't be much new for me.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:34 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I don't see a double standard in there being a black history museum. There are Jewish history museums, maritime history museums, airplane museums, dog museums, Elvis museums, art museums, science museums, farming history museums, Mormon museums, Irish history museums, shoe museums, and Egyptian museums. I could go on all night. There being a black history museum is just another point of interest. Not a double standard. I'd go.

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 5:37 PM on May. 26, 2011

• SuperChicken: you are correct. The double standard is only in the name (I think that is what she means). You could never call something the "The White Whatever" without sounding like a racist. One could argue that many museums has white history. I could be wrong, but I think that is what the OP meant.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:43 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Quinn and skittles, good points and thanks for showing me something I didn't originally see.

I'm not saying the museum itself is a double standard. I too would go, but that's because i just like museums. But I also think that by segregating the "black" history from the "white" history only causes other issues to erupt. All i'm saying is this is just as much a part of history as anything else, so why does it have to be separate? Think about it. You really don't think if there were a National White Museum that people woudn't be getting huffy puffy and calling it a racist institution? That's where I'm talking about double standards.
    DJsMommy610

Comment by DJsMommy610 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on May. 26, 2011