Ok, military wives who are not spring chickens....

can you please tell me when FRG's became NOT a form of support to the spouses? I haven't been active in one in a while. Either the unit didn't have one, or it just sucked. I am now active in one, was 'voluntold' to be the co-leader. Leader in the next month. I learned the hard way that the FRG is NOT there for support. It used to be. So, when did all the rules change? Or was I just in a different kind of FRG?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 5:03 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• I've never even been in one. I don't know if the Air Force has anything like that? At least I've never been told about it at our base.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:15 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I was in the army so I only saw it from a soldiers point of view, but ten years ago when I was in it was a common joke that they where there to break up marriages not support them. From what I saw the joke had a lot more truth to it than people would think.
    Anonymous

• That's a shame anon. I'm pissed, because I was interrupted by the current leader and the commander when I was trying to answer a question about what else the FRG does other then refer spouses to sources, and give them info. Wives want and need support, especially during a deployment. The leader and commander wouldn't let me finish, wouldn't let me express that this didn't mean the FRG and those involved couldn't be taken advantage of, used as free taxi's and babysitters. Hands shot up after they shut me down. My husband told me that after this exchange happened, a lot of spouses changed their minds, they were going to get involved, were going to volunteer. Now they won't. Some of the guys told him this. And that pisses me off. I've been an Army wife over 15 years. I know what goes wrong in FRG's, I know what is needed. Some of what is needed. I just would like to know when the rules changed:(
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on May. 26, 2011