Termite contracts...

We bought a house recently and transferred the termite contract. Apparently, it does not cover any damage done by termites, not does it cover much of anything. The spray for only certain kinds of termites actually. We though that the contracts covered damage done. Are we wrong? Do ANY contracts cover that? I know, I need to call, I will. It's just too late today to call. And I'm annoyed, and wanna know now.
Oh, also, does anyone NOT have a termite contract? But take care of treatments on their own?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 5:06 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• As far as I know, the answer is, "No." Why should they cover damage that was done prior to treatment? Did they treat the soil or the house, or both? I grew up in the State of Washington. The house I grew up in was built around 1900. When it was about 80 yrs old, we found some termites in the house. Parts of the floor joists were laid on top of the soil. We had to bring those areas up to code by digging until there was 18 in. between the soil and joists. There was some termite damage. Pest control took care of the termites. They didn't take care of the damage the termites did. If you live in the South where nothing dies, the soil around the house needs to be treated every 10 yrs. Did you know that termites can swarm like honey bees do? I have seen this. When we had the soil treated around our home, we were told that they wouldn't cover damage done to the house by termites.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 5:38 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would have had the seller pay to correct the termite damage rather than just transfer a contract.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:49 PM on May. 26, 2011

• The previous owners had the contract already, we transferred it. The ground was treated I know. IDK about the house. I think so. There had been damage, but no longer. They drill every so many years. There are no termites now, we had an inspection done before closing. If we keep up the contract, why wouldn't they cover damage? If they don't take care of their job, why wouldn't they cover damage? As of now, there isn't any, because the contract, and treatment has not lapsed.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Oh, boy. There is no damage!!! On the contract is states they do not cover damage. I thought that was clear in the original post. Sorry.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on May. 26, 2011

• We are buying a house and transferring the termite contract. The contract says that the company will come out every 3 months and since they guarantee their product's effectiveness if they find any evidence of termites they will retreat the entire house/shed/garage/yard for free...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:35 PM on May. 26, 2011

• They don't cover damage because the damage may be previously there. A termite contract is for the control of termites only. It isn't to cover any structural damage because it might not be cause by termites, but by water damage, flooding, tornado, fire, etc. So, why would it cover damage even if there is none now?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:38 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I don't believe a pest company is going to cover existing damage. They just treat to get rid of the pests.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 10:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• No help here never had termites
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 11:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• No idea. You can call a couple different companies and ask directly. Always make sure you completely read and totally understand a contract before agreeing to it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:29 AM on May. 27, 2011

• We have always used Terminex. When we lived in Ga. (bad termite haven) I called them once and told them we had termites swarming. They came out and said it wasn't termites.2 years later when we were selling the house, there was major termite damage. They came out and fixed everything, free of charge. And as far as I know, it covers any termites.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:51 AM on May. 27, 2011