Smoking Weed: Did you or anyone you know smoke pot while pregnant?

I am interested in this topic because I am from /live Nor cal (san francisco)... and almost everyone here either smokes or grows. or both. And I have seen numerous pregnant ladies smoking while pregnant. The ladies who I asked said that there doctor said it's not recommended-- but there is no scientific evidence that proves it to be bad. But from my own common sense, I feel like it can't be 'good'. Is it bad? Good? Or unknown. PS- Please don't respond with it's ILLEGAL. LOL. I know it is federally illegal... but where I live--- it is not illegal (by the states laws)( if you have a medical card).. And very well accepted. I am just curious if anyone has any REAL concrete information--- no opinons please. I am looking for facts on this. Thanks. :)

tasha94952

Asked by tasha94952 at 5:10 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• sorry i don't know. i bumped it though. how about checking www.webmd.com there may be answers there. good luck, i hope you don't get slammed too much!!
    Good Luck
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:14 PM on May. 26, 2011

• fact: marijuana cuts off oxygen to the brain, cutting off oxygen to the baby
    fact: marijuana impairs judgment, making certain tasks unsafe

everytime a pregnant woman smokes, whether it's cigarettes or marijuana, she is taking a risk. it's up to her whether or not her baby is more important than that risk.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I smoked when I was pregnant with my first until I was about 5 or 6 months along. I told my ob about it and he told me that the only harm smoking does to the baby is the lack of oxygen intake bc of the smoke... My baby came out perfectly fine and is excelling in school, he's brilliant. They say in the baby books that if you smoke weed while pregnant that it will harm the child later in life, like the child could have add or other mental illness problems. I've grown up since then (I was 19 when my first was born) I'm now 26 now. I admit that I took a risk that I shouldn't have, but young and dumb, lesson learned.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 5:16 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My sis in law smoked while pregnant. i'm anonymous because she comes on here sometimes. well she smoked with her last pregnancy and since she had gestational diabetes she was sort of a high risk birth so they tested the baby and her for complications and when the baby was positive for marijuana they took her child away. CPS searched her house to see if the other two children were in danger as well and she left her stash on her dresser and they took all of the children. I don't think she should have been smoking at all. Once you become a parent it isn't about you anymore, it's about your child. It's been a year and she had to do a lot of stuff to get her kids back but they have suffered trauma from being taken away. It's not worth your good time to do this to your kid(s).
    Anonymous

• Apparently, someone supposedly researched it and found it to not have any ill-effects. Some lady argued this with me on my mom page on FB. She posted some links to studies.

IMO, there is NO way that can be ok to do. Look at the effect on people, how can a forming fetus not be affected? LOL This same lady also claimed that the placenta was a barrier. My argument was that it was a carrier, not a barrier.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i agree @Braden. the placenta is not a "barrier" at all! that's the very lifeline of the baby, if the mother does things to hinder the health/growth of the placenta, it directly harms the fetus.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• well....IDK but heres a bump!!
    Hopeful_Gam

Answer by Hopeful_Gam at 5:16 PM on May. 26, 2011

• When in doubt don't do it...there is no evidence that it helps or harms the baby but why risk it?
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:25 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I personally wouldnt do it just because it lacks oxygen to the baby. I quit smoking cigs cold turkey the day i found out I was pregnant. Im not against people who smoke weed or cigs while pregnant. Its their decision and their lifestyle. Everyone is diifferent.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 6:42 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't risk it
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 5:25 PM on May. 26, 2011