Is any of your children with PDD-NOS, Aspurgers/High functioning or not in an Emotionally Disturbed class, and if so how did they do this year?

My son who is seven years old has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, and his phycholigist is looking into changing his diagnosis as High functioning Aspurgers hopefully. Well as you guys probably know he didn't do very well in regular classes like manyother kids with Autism/Aspurgers/PDD-NOS, etc stuggle with because of their lack of social skills. So it took all of kindergarden , and about half of first grade for the school staff to see that he needed more help than they could offer him, so they tested him and his IQ was off the charts for someone his age, and yes accdemically he is really smart, because of this he doesn't quilify for special ed class/class for Autistic/Aspurgers, etc. so the schools last rescource was ED classes. My fiance, my son and I all have checked out the class he is going to be in starting next school year in August, and we feelcomfortable with the teacher and classroom and all, but , I am not sure how he will do behavioral wise in his ED class. They have a system where if you follow the rules and do your school work then you get good behavior points and get to do fun things with the class like going swimming, or to the zoo, etc. If he misbehaves then he gets points taken away and if he doesn't get the points he needs for the special activity of the month then he doesn't get to go. Do any of you parents think your kids with aspurgers/autism be able to understand this kind of disapline, and if you have kids in ED class I would love to hear about your sucesses and trials.

ZLandAJsmommy

Asked by ZLandAJsmommy at 5:14 PM on May. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For some reason, this placement doesn't sit well with me, at least not with out an individual behavior plan. I have a 6 yo son with Aspergers/ADHD who is listed as special ed, but in a main stream classroom. I worry your child won't respond well to this sort of discipline. Please keep in mind my reference point is different than yours, as I'm sure your child is different than mine. I wish you the best of luck with his schooling!
    kjjones91

Answer by kjjones91 at 10:07 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I do not like ED classes in general. Many ED classes have children with conduct and oppositional difiant disorders and it is very different from PPD and being on the autism spectrum. I simply would not allow my son to be in an ED class. Having worked in a school as a therapist I was strongly against placing children with developmental childhood disorders with other children living with conduct issues. The classes in each school I was at were nightmares for both students, teachers, administrators, and parents. I send my child to a small private school that is able to meet his needs in a regular class setting. They make special accomodations, modify work, and take sensory breaks. Everything an excellent IEP would cover but without the frustration of making one, debating related services, and everything my child wants and needs is available. I will never do public ED.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:04 PM on May. 26, 2011

• um... NO I don't think so. They need to be provinding FAPE (free and app. education) in LRE (the least restrictive envioronment). which means that if he is Gifted they need to be providing accomodations and enrichment for that. And autistic... then they need to have IEP goals and accodomations which support him in those areas which can include communication, organization, social skills etc.
    He needs to be specifically and directly TAUGHT social skills etc.etc.

NO WAY and EBD class .. that is NOT an apprpiate setting your child does NOT have a EBD he is autistic. Your district is WAY WAY WAY behind the time and is being highly inapp,
    taking away points for not behaving etc. depends on WHY is he doing that behavior .. did they do a FAB to see the reason. Is it a lack of understanding of that social rule, is their a sensory component.. do they provide sensory breaks have they SPECIFICALLY taught him what to do...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:11 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Nope he needs to be in a regular or gifted classroom with speech therapy to help with communication, social skills training etc or what ever to help with his behavior difficulties. Have they even done a FAB (funtional analysis of behavior) ... does he have OT (ocupational therapy) did they give him alternative ways of communication. What VISUAL supports have they provided WITHIN the classroom. (EVERYTHING should be visual -- rules, assignments, schedules etc.).
    Points for behavior implies that he can do the behavor but doesn't... how do they know he CAN do it. What beh. issues.

There's a LOT missing. (I'm a sped teacher -- can you tell - LOL)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:14 PM on May. 28, 2011

• First step -- inform YOUSELF and the family about what exactly autism is and how if can affect a childs dev. and behavior (communication, social skills, organization, sensory issues are BASIC).

Then teach the school. Look up parent-to-parent and other autism support groups. And direct the school system to resources. If they do not presently have what your child needs... they are still required to provide it.
    in the LEAST RESTRICTIVE ENVIRONMENT -- and 1:1 aide and/or co teaching/consultative model. Why straight to self-contained and espeically in such an INAPPROPIATE SETTING.
    No baby... no way.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:18 PM on May. 28, 2011

• you know earning points to get something is only good if the child actually wants the fun thing....
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:19 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Thank you guys for your advice, it's been a hard school year, because I feel like we have been in the dark about a lot of things. It's also been hard because when the school tested him they only tested him for full on autism, and he has PDD-NOS and this was diagnosed by his phycoligist through Early intervention Program he attends. The school also said that they don't have to follow the phycoligists diagnosis and that they have their own "tests" they do wich are just surveys that the parents and teacher fill out on how they think they behave and then the speach theripist and the school councelor/Phycologist observed my son a couple of times and asked a couple of questions and that was it. Thats how they came up with the fact that he wasn't autistic. He was recieviing help from an aid last school year, but he was having to many melt downs with her and was kicking/hitting her and so they decided to put him in ED classes
    ZLandAJsmommy

Comment by ZLandAJsmommy (original poster) at 8:25 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Did they do a FAB (functional analysis of behavior) to see why? You are absolutely within your rights to challenge their "diagnosis". Why do the SPECIFICALLY disagree with a diagnosis of aspergers? What have they done to meet his INTELLECTUAL needs. Why was he having meltdowns with the aide... is there a possible sensory component (nearness, smells, noise, lights etc.)
    Did they figure out what was the FUNCTION of the behavior? How are they planning to meet his giftedness within this classroom? With him being aggressive and can see why a sep. classroom may be an appropiate placement but... there are still several unanswered questions.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:01 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Research and inform yourself.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2011