My asperger's DS and his so called friend...

My son is 6 and about to finish 1st grade. He told me today that his friend 'J' is just *pretending* to not be his friend so they can make more friends. I told him 'Buddy a good friend doesn't ever ever ever 'pretend' to not like you. they either like you or they don't. If they have to pretend they don't like you that isn't nice' He gets defensive and says 'no-really- He is just pretending to not like me so he can make other friends who don't like me'. I told him again that wasn't what a good friend did. A good friend ALWAYS likes you and NEVER says he doesn't even to make new friends. He was upset a flew up the stair crying. It's my job to teach him about friends and how to make and keep friends. I had to tell him that right? Shoudl I have just let it go? I am so worried he is going to fall into the trap of 'pretend friend' bullying. you know the kids that acts like he likes you when he wants something... I dunno I feel bad for bursting his bubble. He has no friends at all this year and now I find out the one kid he talks to is a little jerk to him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• It hard to be a friend to an aspie. Other kids will pick on you when you are. I saw this with DD's friend. She liked playing here with DD but didn't associate with her at school so she didn't get picked on. I would have let it go. He will struggle with making friends, especially NT ones. Let him practice his social skills with someone so things get easier for him.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:42 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Well my son is 6 and he and his BFF play "roles" all of the time,, I think you made him feel bad (sorry mamma) I think kids at this age role play all the time, and the other boy didn't mean to be not nice,,,I just think listening and waiting to hear what happens the next day would have been your better bet.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:52 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would have done the same thing as you. ((HUGS))
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 5:56 PM on May. 26, 2011

• poor guy. Sorry you guys are going through that
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:28 PM on May. 26, 2011