my doc said my dd is under weight for her age she is 9 months

my dd is almost 28 inches long and weighs less then 19 anyone else think she is under weight how much does your weigh?

butterscotch297

Asked by butterscotch297 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son at his 9 month appointment was 19 lbs 6 oz and 29 inches long. My doctor is really awesome, this is our 2nd doctor because the first one told us we were doing everything wrong and didnt really address our concerns, our new one is awesome she just asked us how often he eats and if he is pooping regular and to those questions we said yes and she said he is fine. The percentage is just a number. every child is different and cannot be compare to other kids for weight or height. I think its sill that they do, there are too many factors that need to be accounted for and they arent in the percentages that the doctors give you.
    fallenangel7386

Answer by fallenangel7386 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son is 10 months old and weighs 17 lb. 3 oz. His adjusted age, for being premature, is 9 months. He's had some weight gain issues and doesn't line up on typical growth charts. However, my son has Down Syndrome and when put on the Down Syndrome growth charts he lines up with the lower percentiles, so we're doing ok.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my daughter is 10 months and 21 lbs.. and the doctor says shes very healthy.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 8:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my dd is 19lbs and will be 1 in 2weeks. and is 29in
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 8:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I plotted her growth- 75% for height and 50% for weight
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Is my dd a giant? . . . lol at her 4 month appt, she was 15lb 11oz and 25in long.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my daughter is a little over 14lbs and 24 or 25 inches and 7 months...she is small and always has been but she grows normally so my doctor wasnt worried
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My sisters 19 month old may weight 20 pound if you feed her she is probably fine. if you think they are wrong go get a 2nd opinion, but just feed her healthy and often and she will be fine from what i have read. When they are hungry they eat.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I hate when people (including doctors!) give you an idea of what SHOULD be. If you daughter is eating WELL, and active and getting enough fluids and generally in good health, then you should have NOTHING to worry about. It could be just her. My 4 year old weighs 34lbs and he is 3'1. Has NEVER been higher than 20% when he was little, but he kept trucking right along, was full term and everything, eats like a champ and is VERY active...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Did your doctor actually say that she was "underweight" or just that she was little? Or that she's not gaining weight properly?

Sorry, but it seems like a lot of Mom's take simple little things (some are even compliments!) and turn them into something bad. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2008