Creamy & Fluffy Buttercream Frosting

I love the show DC Cupcakes the TLC show that features Georgetown Cupcakes. I love how their frosting looks like clouds on top of their cupcakes!

I've made Buttercream frosting before using room temperature butter, sifted powdered sugar, and water (I don't use milk or cream to thin it out) and mix it up in my KitchenAid and it never looks like theirs. I whip the frosting using the paddle attachment - the butter for a total of 10 minutes and the butter, sugar, liquid and flavoring for an additional 5 minutes. I read on a message board that someone whip/mix their frosting mixture for 15-20 minutes but they didn't say if their frosting is made with any shortening which I assume can withstand a longer mixing/whipping time. I don't use shortening.

My question is this: shouldIi/can I whip the sugar-butter mixture for a longer time frame or will that give me a thin or broken down frosting?

I great appreciate your helpful, knowledgable tips!

Thank you!

momneedstimeout

Asked by momneedstimeout at 5:50 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• check on TLC.com or foodnetwork.com for tips...Paula Deen is a great baker
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 12:52 PM on May. 27, 2011