I Think My Daughter Is Being Bullied?

My 5 year old daughter,Luna,got into a fight with a 2nd grader.Then like about 2 weeks ago she had been into another fight with a girl she didnt like her class.How do I get through to her?Should I be concerned if my daughter is being bullied? Signs:
-she's easily agitated
-sometimes when she comes from school she's mad
-she's crying herself to sleep
-she's scratching herself

What should I do?

My_Darling_Luna

Asked by My_Darling_Luna at 6:38 PM on May. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would try to talk to her first one on one and see what information you get from her, if that doesn't work then i would get ahold of the teacher. i had to deal with this with my daughter too and it just helps to talk to them. good luck momma
    libas.mommy

Answer by libas.mommy at 6:43 PM on May. 26, 2011

• talk to her alone, ask her why she is so angry. I would also ask for a parent/teacher conference. Is there anything going on in her life that could cause her to act out? Divorce, breakup, lack of attention (not saying from you) Maybe she if she could talk to the school counselor?

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Talk to her and see whats going on
    benitaapplebomb

Answer by benitaapplebomb at 6:54 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Something is going on with your daughter. I would talk to her and keep communication open. I would also make a conference with her teacher so I could figure out what is going on.  I would also request a day to visit her classroom or play yard to observe. You should keep a journal/event log of incidents on how your daughter is being bullied.  If your daughter comes home with scratches take a picture. If you feel your teacher is of no help go to the principal, go to the district office until you get help. Your child has the right to go to school in a safe environment. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 6:54 PM on May. 26, 2011

• The first time your dd said she got into a fighht with an older girl, is when you should have gone to the school to see what was going on. I'd say something is up, that you should talk to the teacher about.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:10 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I talked to my daughter & she said these girls keep talking about her & putting their hands on her.Im going to the teacher tomorrow morning & requesting a conference
    My_Darling_Luna

Comment by My_Darling_Luna (original poster) at 7:14 PM on May. 26, 2011

• try to talk to her and if she won't open up have her talk to a councelor. It might also be a good idea to talk to her teacher and see what his/her take is on the situation. Maybe she's being bullied and maybe she is the bully. either way the teacher is likely to have insight that you and even the child doesn't have.
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:15 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I'd be in touch with the school. Most school have a zero tolerance policy for bullying.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:27 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I'd try talking to her and also mention something to the school counselor.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think you are absolutely correct in speaking to the teacher. As a teacher, I would even say to ask her teacher daily, how her day was and see if you can get in contact with the counselor. With so many tragic recent events, everyone will or should be taking bullying extremely seriously. And of course, speaking with your daughter about ways to alleviate her feelings such as drawing a picture, talking to you , etc. will help. I would even consider taking her somewhere after school likes girl scouts, a club or something else where she can meet friends outside her school so she knows there are more people inthe world than just these girls.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:21 PM on May. 26, 2011