What is "proper" baby attire for a baby going to the beach?

First I want to state I know babies shouldn't be out in the sun for a long period of time, my plans were for a baby play date with a work associate of mine. We wanted to take our los outside but it gets really hot and humid in va so we figured we would go to the beach for half an hour bc the water would bring in a good breeze, and we could splash the kids with water if they got hot. I bought my 9 mo DS a sun hat, sun shirt with long sleeves with spf protection and very reachable fabric, long with swim shorts also spf protected, sunglasses as well. All of this on top of 50 spf baby sunscreen. And was still chastised for him not being properly dressed by w stranger. I thought I did pretty darn good, I did research, I never even knew about tye spf shirts and swim trunks, and had no idea babies have their own sunscreen. What is it that I'm missing here? When I asked the stranger she shook her head and walked away. Really though, what else could I have gotten and put on him? We also had an umbrella and we were sitting in the shade.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• People are asses. Don't listen to them. I always put my babies in bathing suits with a t shirt over it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:44 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i once had someone say " geez , sunglasses on a baby,, "  had to inform said person it wasnt a fashion statement !  maybe this ignorant person was unaware you were protecting your lil ones eyes !!!  maybe she was the one who doesnt know the proper way to dress baby for sun !!   too bad you didnt get a chance to educate her.  that is just how some people are 

shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 7:57 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would ignore here.. who knows why she shook her head.. maybe she things you went overboard? lol.. who knows.

either way you did fine. The only thing I would add, is if the baby was walking, I would be sure to have swimmers diapers and maybe a floaty bathing suit or baby life jacket on him.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:05 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Since you did your homework and felt fine with what your son had on, and she had no clue to the fact you had all that sunscreen stuff, including the clothes she might not know exists either, let it go. You will never ever please everyone when it comes to your kids. There will always be someone who is not going to approve what you are doing. Once, in church, I chastised my two year old for flinging a book around, and one lady told me to get over it because he wasn't bothering anyone but me...on another occasion, I allowed him to play loudly with the song book and overheard someone complaining that I needed to get my baby under control. I learned then that I wasn't going to please all of them, and why did I even need to? I needed to do what was best for my son, not for them. Hopefully that helps...
    mitzicross

Answer by mitzicross at 8:35 PM on May. 26, 2011

• sounds like you did awesome to me
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:59 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would say you did a good job.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• sounds like you did everything right. ignore strangers. good for you for protecting your son and getting out of the house for a fun outing!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:17 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Thank u to all who've posted replies, I really was at a loss. My son is 9 mo so I had no intentions of letting him in the water unless I was holding him so I didnt bother with floaties or anything like that. But he had a fantastic time holding my hands and walking along the water line with tiny little waves going over his feet. :) I'm still wondering what was up with the stranger lady but still think I had him dressed very well. I mean, baby swim suits are really cute but I wanted him covered from the sun as much as possible. It's probablybobvious but this is my first baby and I'm tryin hard to learn all the little details that together, make a big deal. at least to me. DH calls me anal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Some people have nothing better to do then to be stupid.. You're fine!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 11:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Sounds like you (and him) were covered!
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 8:13 PM on May. 27, 2011