Seriously? We're going to spend $500 MILLION to teach kids how to sit still in Kindergarten?

UGH, this takes the cake! What a waste of our tax dollars.

Link

Do you think this is needed?

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 7:40 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No. No 5 yr old can sit still more then a little while which is why they switch up what the kids do every 20-30 minutes. Its asinine to "teach" infants through Kinder age to do this. My dd is 6 and in Kinder and cant sit still, still she is passing with flying colors. Aside from the "moving a clip" here and there shes an awesome little girl who tested above average academically.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Hmmm, I think we need to spend the money on teaching Democrats how to stop spending money we don't have.
    Besides, anyone who thinks they can make a 5 yr old sit still in class is a total idiot to start with. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:44 PM on May. 26, 2011

• angry stupid! stupid! stupid!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I thought it was fairly normal not to be able to sit still in Kindergarten? I know I couldn't . But seriously I thought kindergarten was supposed to be a place for learning social and behavior skills so that you can function better in higher grades levels?
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 7:48 PM on May. 26, 2011

• The nuns in Catholic schools could do it for much cheaper!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:53 PM on May. 26, 2011

• You're kidding right? My son is 7.5 and STILL can't sit still. He's now about to finish 1str grade and scored in the 95% for verbal and 99% for non-verbal in the Highly Capable/Challenge/Gifted program.

Kids will be kids. LET THEM RUN. That's the best way to get out the wiggles.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

• about as stupid as spending millions to take pictures of school lunch trays!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:01 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Kids will be kids. LET THEM RUN. That's the best way to get out the wiggles.

I agree!!! I remember morning recess, recess at lunch and afternoon recess all the way up to maybe 4th grade! And I remember Kindergarten as playing, doing some crafts, a snack, recess, storytime. I think they are pushing kids too fast!

I also think that taking away recess and expecting kids to sit still has a lot to do with all the ADD/ADHD diagnoses.
    DSamuels

Comment by DSamuels (original poster) at 8:02 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I didn't read the link but expecting kids to sit still AND be quiet AND to do school work for any long period of time is ridiculous. Adults can't do it, especially in a room surrounded by friends, why would we expect kids to do it?!?!?!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:08 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I can do it for free. Pretend I'm a mom. I teach my child to sit still in places like a restaurant, church, the movies, at the dinner table....no way should the gov't spend money to teach my child to sit still. Parents just keep giving more and more of their duties to the state. Pretty soon, all a woman will do is birth and then the state takes over. We will just be 'puppy farms'.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:29 PM on May. 26, 2011