NY Officials Want Schools to Teach About Unwanted Baby Laws

After two young moms recently abandoned their newborn babies -- one of whom did not survive -- New York officials are proposing that high school curriculum include lessons on what mothers can do if they give birth to a baby they don't want.

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes, State Sen. Eric Adams and State Assemblyman Hakim Jeffries are proposing state legislation requiring the change to high school health curriculum. The officials envision students being taught in public school about so-called "safe haven laws," which allow a parent to leave a newborn anonymously without prosecution as long as the newborn is abandoned in a safe way.

Link

Does this really need to be taught in health class? Yeah, I guess it does :(

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 7:47 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Probably so, I think they can slip it in between the condom and the gay acceptance lessons.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:53 PM on May. 26, 2011

• sadly.. it IS better to inform them then to allow their infants to die in a garbage. I read about the one that survived amazingly in our paper, but is this state wide? or City wide? (I didn't see anything on the news out in western ny about the officials wanting to do this BUT I've been watching the weather channel alot more than the local news channels, so obviously could easily have missed it).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:53 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Its so sad. I live in CT and I see Safe Haven signs up all over the place, it makes me want to puke. BUT it's better to give an unwanted baby up then to abandon it. And I guess getting the word out there in mandatory health classes is better than abandoning babies too.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:55 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think so,most babies that get thrown out (gosh the thought of it brings tears to my eyes) are by teenagers that are scared for their parents to find out. I would much rather a baby be given up then thrown away. Hopefully it will pass and save some innocent lives.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:03 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Anything that would save a child's life is worth any downside if you ask me. If they are going to give birth, and not want it, they need to have the right information about what to do. I think it should be taught anywhere this is a problem.....
    mitzicross

Answer by mitzicross at 8:14 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i think the child's life is the most important thing
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 8:21 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I can see how this might be needed.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:31 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It is becoming more common,considering the growing number of teen moms and the kids need to hear the realistic facts----parents are remiss most of the time--so why not at school? I think its a good idea.The teen who just disposes lf her newborn is guilty of murdering her baby. They need to know WHERE to bring a newborn so that the baby will be well taken care of ---and maybe become available for adoption.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:32 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Appropriate at the HS level- Teens need to know that there are support systems for guiding them during these situations.

Potentially preventing a Caylee Anthony situation...who could complain about that?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:34 PM on May. 26, 2011

• lol no
    benitaapplebomb

Answer by benitaapplebomb at 8:41 PM on May. 26, 2011