Speaking

At what age would you be concerned if your child (boy) wasn't speaking a lot or very clearly?
Do you think if a child was two and a half and was talking but not in sentences, you couldn't understand a lot of what he was trying to say but you also could understand a lot you would be concerned at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No as long as they're trying and putting 3-4 words together I think its fine but maybe speak to your Dr. my ds is 2 now and he is starting to put 3-4 words together like "please I want some" etc.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:51 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would be concerned enough to get a free developmental evaluation from early intervention. But then, I always say to err on the side of safety. If there is a delay, it's much better to catch it early. Given time, he may catch up and be fine but if he qualifies for free speech therapy, it's only going to help him do it quicker. My daughter qualified at 2 and by the time she was 3 she was so far ahead of other 3 yo's it was amazing.

Answer by missanc at 7:52 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would not be concerned yet. Maybe try to work with him to articulate better.

My son was 3.5 and I was getting all kinds of pressure from family, friends and doctors to have him evaluated for a speech delay. The school district wouldn't get involved unless he was special needs and insurance wouldn't cover it. After his sister was born I pulled him out of daycare at a 10:1 ratio and kept him home with me. Within six months of working hard with him to articulate he was speaking just like any other child his age.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:09 PM on May. 26, 2011

• half the time i do not know what language my 2yr old is saying. but other times she says other words very well. i sometimes kid around and say she has her own language which alot of children do. if you understand him sometimes and understand his meanings behind things i would say he would be ok. as long as he is trying. does he repeat words. mine repeats everything. just keep repeating and talk to him constantly. language is hard.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:36 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My son will be 3 in July and I have had him in weekly speech therapy sessions for at least 8 months now. His speech therapist recommended I contact an agency called "Infants and Toddlers" about a few months ago which I did and he was evaluated through that agency and put into a PIES class. He and I go twice a week together, it is sort of like a mommy and me class only free (it is covered by his insurance through our state). Yes it is considered special education and the majority of the other kids are way more in need and have other issues besides speech, but it has been good for him. We have been going a couple months now and it's great, they have already had field trips (next week we are going to the zoo, and we don't have to pay for it!!! YAY!!! everything is 100% free)!!! I asked my sons pedi about his speech when he was 1.5 and although she was not too worried, she put me in touch with people that could help since I WAS!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:02 AM on May. 27, 2011