How would you take this?

I started a new job in Feb. I had no idea how many people had interviewed or anything for the position. But I was hired four days after my first interview. I found today that before they interviewed me they were going to hire a man for the job. Who was actually much more qualified than I am and has more experience (Im only 24). But my bosses (all women) hired me because I am a woman. The job is on the lower end of the salary scale for the degree and the position and they didn't think a man would stay very long because of the low salary. My bosses don't know that I know. I'm glad I got the job. But this information has kind of tainted them (and the company) in my eyes. What do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• in this economy,I'd be happy to have the job. Ignore all you heard

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:59 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Since this information didn't come from your bosses, I'd file it away as irrelevant. You were hired, and you're going to do a good job. I don't understand the motivations of the person/people who told you this. That's what I'd think about now, rather than the story that they told you. Why did these people tell you this? What were they hoping to accomplish?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:59 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i have to agree with evwsquared.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:01 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would be grateful for the job just watch yourself though
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:03 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Like the other ladies said, just be grateful that you have a job and think nothing else of the reason behind why they hired you, just be thankful that they did and make sure you do the best job that you can. Congrats on the job btw
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:08 PM on May. 26, 2011

• if i didn't hear it frothe hire up directly then i wouldn't really belive it but thats just me.
    libas.mommy

Answer by libas.mommy at 8:08 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i think i would be happy knowing they hired me over a more qualified man, because the way society is men usually get chosen over equally qualified women. why does it make you upset, because they were afraid the man wouldnt stay as long? there's a really long sociological explanation for that... but i wont get into it because i might butcher it :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 8:15 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Take the job, of course. Learn lots!

If you like the job, do your research and ask for a raise or bonuses at your first (glowing) review.

If you don't, use it as a stepping stone, just like the men would. It is always (and particularly, right now, from everything I've heard) FAR easier to get a job when you already have one.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• First, if u were just as qualified as the man then I would have a problem but since ur worth less than him ( bcuz of ur experience) then its in the company's best interest to hire u.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:04 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would say 'who cares'. I have the job and get to show them how smart they were to hire me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:10 PM on May. 26, 2011