Has your infant been diagnosed with having acid reflux problems?

If so how did you know they had it and what were the symptoms? My one month old has been spitting up alot every feeding and makes a face and cries after most feedings before spitting up then will root and root for more food even after taking a full bottle. The doctor had us switch formulas to see if that was the problem if that doesnt work they mentioned that he may have reflux and possibly putting him on meds

mylilboy00

Asked by mylilboy00 at 8:00 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter definitely had it. She was never on meds though. She puked so much. Up until she was 3 ish.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:01 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Both of my boys were refluxers as infants. My oldest never threw up, but he was constantly in pain. I would try to nurse him and the second my milk let down, he would arch his back and scream. It got to the point where he couldn't eat at all. He was put on Prevacid and Reglan and was a completely different child. He didn't cry in pain all the time, didn't arch his back (it closes a valve in the stomach and eases the pain), and he was able to eat again. My oldest was 3 months old when he was diagnosed, so as soon as my youngest started showing some pain in the first month, we got him on reflux meds. They both grew out of it around the 1 year mark.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:05 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My son had it. He would scream and thrash and pull away all while trying to eat (arching his back is a common sign). The unusual thing was that he didn't spit up crazy amounts all the time... just the screaming and arching/thrashing and pulling away while he's still clearly hungry. I hated to give him meds since he was so small, but it really did help. When he was around 9 months he didn't need the meds anymore.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:11 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Mine was on reglan from 2wks til 3mos. He was prescribed it because he would spit up w the bottle in the NICU but I exclusively bf and he didn't do it w me.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:59 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I knew. I suffer from severe reflux. I could hear/see the acid or milk come up, but not come out, it'd go back down, burning as it comes up AND goes down. I did go to a specialist, and he was put on Axid, which worked wonderfully and he's been off of it for a long time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Sebbiemama, were you nursing? I ask because what you've described sounds like something that is often misdiagnosed as reflux in nursing moms. If you were nursing, google overactive letdown, and see if the symptoms match. If you were FFing, disregard that, lol
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:24 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Both my kids had acid reflux. My 10 month old really bad and he is still slightly suffering. I would google acid reflux symptoms in infants, most articles list the same symptoms. I swore up and down my LO was suffering from something more severe and there was something wrong but when I googled the symptoms it was like they wrote the article about my child!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:58 AM on May. 27, 2011