How did you introduce your dog to the new Baby?

We have a dog that's a little over a year old now, and we are trying to concieve. One thought that keeps popping in my head is, how will the dog react to a new baby? He's so spoiled with attention and affection right now, and once a baby comes, that will no longer be there. So I'm worried he may have resentment towards a new family member. It's a ways off, but still a concern. Are there things to do when preparing for baby that I could do to help our dog transition?

LWhite85

Asked by LWhite85 at 10:36 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Pets

• Get a baby doll, one that cries preferably, and use it as if it's your baby. Train your dog to interact with the baby doll. You have a while to train too which is a good thing. This is how my friend trained her dog with a new baby. Our dog was 4 when we brought the baby home and had not trained him before. He wasn't hyper though and fell in love with our son instantly. Good luck!
    MissyMegan

Answer by MissyMegan at 10:42 PM on May. 26, 2011

• we've been wearing baby lotion to get our guys use to the scent. setting up the crib and other furniture and teaching them to stay away will help. play sounds of babies laughing crying ect off youtube or something. after you deliver bring home a blanket the baby was wrapped in and let him smell it before actually bringing the baby home.
    pipsqueak01

Answer by pipsqueak01 at 1:29 PM on May. 27, 2011