How long is it OK to leave a child unsupervised in a car?

I say NEVER...I saw a woman calling the police because there was a child crying alone in a car...doing the right thing, however, while she was in the store making this phone call her child was alone in her car parked in a fire zone! The police did come unfortunately I do not know the outcome for either parent.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 10:46 PM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• that is very wrong noone should ever leave a child unattented at no period of time
    alliep2011

Answer by alliep2011 at 10:48 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Wow!!! It is never ok to leave a child alone in the car. My kids bug me about it too sometimes because I do alot of quick errands, but nope! they have to come in with me.
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 10:48 PM on May. 26, 2011

• You are right 100%! It's NEVER o.k. to leave kiddos alone in a car! That is for sure!
    jhg374

Answer by jhg374 at 10:48 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Never!!!!! There are signs and even commercials that say "Not even for a minute!!" so NEVER!!
    kpolitte

Answer by kpolitte at 10:49 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i say never also....it's dangerous on so many levels....
    lvmy3lilones

Answer by lvmy3lilones at 10:49 PM on May. 26, 2011

• NEVER!!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:51 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Wow, it's probably a good thing that she told somebody about the other kid, but she probably should have parked her car and taken her child inside with her. I think it depends on the age of your child, school age kids it might be okay to leave them in the car for a few minutes (no more than that!) but for younger kids (toddlers and babies) it isn't very safe to leave them alone in your own house for long much less in public.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 10:52 PM on May. 26, 2011

• NEVER EVER! I never go alone to even pump gas so I never have to leave the kids alone in the car. A lot can happen in just one minute.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:53 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree with the never. I am also paranoid lately about accidentally locking my keys in the car with my child locked in. It is so hot out and I have this fear he will heat up too qiuckly and be harmed.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:54 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Depends how old was the kid and how far away is the mom? Can she always keep her eye on the kid? Iis kid buckeled up and unable to hit the drive stick? Is the car running?

lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:57 PM on May. 26, 2011