I'm scared to exercise while I'm breastfeeding

I've read that it can be dangerous to your baby if you do too much. Well I bought Chalean Extreme a while back and wanted to start the program, but it's supposed to be hard. I haven't worked out besides long walks the last few months of my pregnancy and the walking I do while waitressing for about a year. I'm 2 weeks postpartum and am already all healed up and feel ready to start doing at least something. It's just that walking is out of the question, it's way too hot outside here and if I did walk, it'd be with a newborn and a 2 1/2 year old whose speed walk is my slowest walk. It just wouldn't work. So is it true that working out too hard with hurt the baby?

ours

Asked by ours at 10:47 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes strenuous exercise supposedly can leave an aftertaste in your milk, but I exercised w/no side effects at all. I'd suggest starting slow- if you notice your baby turning up her nose at your milk, you'll know you're doing too much.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:50 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree with EgoTryptophan. There are lots of exercises out there specifically for post natal and BF'ing moms. I'm actually going to be reviewing one on my blog soon. Good luck!
    MissyMegan

Answer by MissyMegan at 10:55 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I don't see how EXERCSE would hurt your baby if she is no longer INSIDE you? LOL.
    Here's something to consider--My grandma lived on a farm and when she had her 4 kids, she breastfed and went out to work in the fields and in the barn,milking cows, heavy housework ( no indoor toilets ,.no dishwashers..LOL ) and she had no problens with anything. She was out of bed and working a few days after each birth. We are much more resilient and able than we think---we are all spoiled by modern life. I would not worry about it.
    But, you COULD ask your Doctor!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:56 PM on May. 26, 2011

• How would it hurt the baby?

At the hospital they should have gone over exercises you could do until your postpartum checkup. When you go to the doctor you can find out what amount of exercise is okay. It may seem like it but you can't be all healed up in two weeks. Exercise too soon can be bad for you.

There is some research that some breastfed babies may not like the taste of their mother's milk after they exercise. The milk does not hurt the baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:10 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Something about lactic acid
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 11:26 PM on May. 26, 2011

• start slow and talk to your doctor as to what they suggest
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:00 PM on May. 27, 2011