S/o from another question: Why is there always controversy about certain things for African Americans

We have so many other races in America~Native American, hispanics, Koreans,just to name a few
but it's always an issue about African Americans having something to relate to.
I have never seen controversy about there being Chinatown~I know in DC we have a chinatown not sure about other big cities, or hispanics have their own channels but bc we have BET its an issue

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 11:00 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think many people are not comfortable with black people owning their heritage, culture, and history. Wanting to continue to deny many aspects of their history and rob them of a strong future. Look at Obama. First black president and the most controversial by far. In reality he is far more moderate than Clinton but definately more feared. Oprah - just recently on this site she was called a racist by many. A black person of power and influence is often targeted as bad to discredit anything they have to say. Yes I go to black history museums and celebrate black history. I insist my son's school have numerous books featuring black main characters. I point out ways they can highlight black individuals of merit frquently. At first resistance. Now compliance when other parents joined in. And let us not foget the fear of private black scholarships. Private white ones given every day but oh no
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Not everyone has an issue of it. I do say, the only thing that seems to make me think twice about things is when people hyphenate American. It's not enough to be American, but to have to call out your heritage sort of makes me think that the people that do that are segregating themselves in a way. I don't really care one way or the other because other people's heritage and culture have never bothered me. I mean, we are pretty much all (besides native Americans) have heritage from other countries. That's what America was built on. It's assumed that you have heritage from other countries, just not everyone has to have the heritage hyphenated.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• should a black scholarship be awarded and only to black persons. I raise my child to be a proud black man and he will be some day. And that smart proud black man I raise...perhaps he will run for president because another black man before him ran and won. Slowly we are creating more opportunities.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:37 PM on May. 26, 2011

• popcorn

Anonymous

• Idk where I live the "controversy" is more about Hispanics than blacks. And blacks seem to have the biggest issues with Hispanics from what I've experienced. People don't want Hispanics to have their own stores, or to be able to speak their language in public, or to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, to have a little of their own culture here. So maybe it's more about perception and where you live, and not about one particular race, hm?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:49 AM on May. 27, 2011

• It's about heritage, not about color. Black Americans are Americans, you should participate with everything that is American. Blacks are not just from Africa.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• THAT I agree on kyheavensmom.
    And I am proud that our President is black---well, HALF black. :-) ANd he is respected by millions of Americans. He deserves the respect.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes, WHAT WAS that question...Oprah is a racist? Holy cow---that WAS a dumb question. I was not her biggest fan but I liked her and never thought she was racist. She was accepting of all people and successful because she was intelligent and loved to live and give to others.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:50 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I think you might just be more sensistive to comments about black people, and therefore notice them more than comments about others.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:48 AM on May. 27, 2011

• OP, I meant to answer you before. I posted the museum question because it was the heading of an article. That wasn't my question though, my question was why the double standard. But I see where you're coming from, and to be quite honest, I don't really know. I will say though, and this is just from where I see it, it seems like the highest amount of privileges given (example: a scholarship) are given for the sole purpose of being black, and nothing else. Yes, others like hispanics or chinese are given them too, but my specific question was only triggered by reading an article that I did find to be quite absurd. I never said you shouldn't have these things, i was simply stating if the tables were turned, it would be a different story. I was just making an observation based on an article with a stupid, not well thought out title.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:20 PM on May. 27, 2011