Has anyone tried or heard of hypnobabies.i read alittle about it and i want to find more info on it .if anyone can help....

ZACANDZOIESMOM

Asked by ZACANDZOIESMOM at 11:06 PM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you mean hypno-birthing.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 2:44 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Hypnobabies is a specific brand of program (Hypno-birthing is another one. I think it might also be called Mongen Method?) I know there's one called something like Hyp-birth, too. And there's at least one more approach I know about (that is all CD), but I don't remember the name of it.

My youngest (twins) are getting close to three years old, now, so I am a little rusty on this stuff!

But I did a Hypnobabies program for that birth. With the HB course you invest in a book & a set of CDs (some programs are all-CD, some such as Hypno-birthing emphasize a course w/ instructor & have a book as well) and I know there are HB instructors, too, but you can do the whole program just by book & CD. I listened to the affirmations CD at least once a day (probably missed some days somewhere in there, but I was pretty faithful & I think it was particularly helpful in the end), I listened to the hypnosis CDs (ALWAYS fell asleep) & read the
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2011

• book. (Part of my pregnancy, the book was misplaced, so I wasn't constantly consulting it but I did listen to the affirmations often more than once a day, in the car, etc. and I did regularly play the course CDs.) I didn't involve my husband as much as I could have (in the end I just gave him some instructions to help me out in labor, basically the line "Your job is to relax," and in the moment I would TELL him that I needed him to say it and then he would, and then I would have a deep relaxation response, lol)
    For me, Hypnobabies was a great option because I could do it at home (going to a 7-9 p.m. Hypnobirthing class at the hospital would have been nearly impossible for me, both with my older child needing care AND the physical discomfort of going someplace & trying to sit by the middle of my twin pregnancy--my babies were 7 & 8 lbs at birth so it was a lot to lug around.) The other factor I liked was that it's designed to
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:12 AM on May. 27, 2011

• "work" without requiring a specific relaxed/calm & dark/dim setting or atmosphere. The practice involves a mental setting they call your "light switch" and you can activate your "light switch" & get the benefits of the hypnosis without having to stay in a particular position, keep your eyes closed, stay quiet/focused, etc. This means you can move around freely, talk to others (like medical staff) without "losing" your hypnosis. I know the nurses during my labor seemed to expect certain things when they learned that we had done a hypnosis approach (the hospital offers Hypnobirthing classes so that's what they see the most of) and they seemed shocked that I could deal with talking, and even moving into a cold & brightly lit O.R. for the actual births (the second twin was breech & so their policy was that I had to birth them in the O.R.) I don't think they'd seen this flexibility with hypno patients.
    I think HBs helped me lots!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:24 AM on May. 27, 2011